Re: Savage Gulf Trip

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2003
      Glad to hear the hike was a sucess. Yall must have come back up at
      The Door. I'll second that it is a tough climb. We did it as a side
      trip as we passed below on our way to Saw Mill. I,m glad I didnt
      have my pack on, just a fanny pack with some water. You should
      check into a good 20 degree bag. I think you can get a good
      syntyhetic for under a $100. Try Dick's Sporting Goods. I saw
      several for around $50 to $80. A 20 degree should see you through
      most winter nights down south. If you don't expect to do a lot of
      winter camping you might even consider a 30 or 40 degree bag, or
      some type of quilt for hammocking.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kokopellihawk"
      <wildmanr@b...> wrote:
      > Hope everyone is Hanging well,
      > Stone Door is a wonder!!! Started friday and did the Big Creek
      Rim
      > Trail and the views are beautiful. There was a party of 12 of us
      and
      > we had a great trek to Alum Gap where we set up camp. I was the
      only
      > one that had a hammock and everyone was really checking it out. My
      > setup went great and everything worked as planned. The
      temperature
      > was great until it got dark and started dropping.....it was a
      chilly
      > wet cold.....I WILL NOT CARRY a military extreme cold weather
      sleeping
      > bag with me again....it turned out the blasted thing was the
      heaviest
      > thing on my pack. I slept great (felt like I was under a electric
      > blanket!). My set-up, GI jungle hammock, Target Blue pad, Old Quik
      > Shade Tarp and my biggest downfall, GI extreme cold mummy sleeping
      > bag. The reason it was my downfall was....when we broke camp, we
      went
      > quick, My sleeping bag was wet from dew and it was that much
      heavier.
      > My hammock was dry and so was everything else but the blasted bag.
      We