Savage Gulf Trip

  • kokopellihawk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2003
      Hope everyone is Hanging well,
      Stone Door is a wonder!!! Started friday and did the Big Creek Rim
      Trail and the views are beautiful. There was a party of 12 of us and
      we had a great trek to Alum Gap where we set up camp. I was the only
      one that had a hammock and everyone was really checking it out. My
      setup went great and everything worked as planned. The temperature
      was great until it got dark and started dropping.....it was a chilly
      wet cold.....I WILL NOT CARRY a military extreme cold weather sleeping
      bag with me again....it turned out the blasted thing was the heaviest
      thing on my pack. I slept great (felt like I was under a electric
      blanket!). My set-up, GI jungle hammock, Target Blue pad, Old Quik
      Shade Tarp and my biggest downfall, GI extreme cold mummy sleeping
      bag. The reason it was my downfall was....when we broke camp, we went
      quick, My sleeping bag was wet from dew and it was that much heavier.
      My hammock was dry and so was everything else but the blasted bag. We
      broke camp and hiked into the Gulf, We took the Big Creek Gulf trail
      out. WOW! The 600 ft drop went well but the 600 ft cimb back up was,
      Well....WHEW...I made it. I am now looking to lighten my pack with
      some kind of new Bag! LOVED HANGING, Hated Bag.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2003
        Glad to hear the hike was a sucess. Yall must have come back up at
        The Door. I'll second that it is a tough climb. We did it as a side
        trip as we passed below on our way to Saw Mill. I,m glad I didnt
        have my pack on, just a fanny pack with some water. You should
        check into a good 20 degree bag. I think you can get a good
        syntyhetic for under a $100. Try Dick's Sporting Goods. I saw
        several for around $50 to $80. A 20 degree should see you through
        most winter nights down south. If you don't expect to do a lot of
        winter camping you might even consider a 30 or 40 degree bag, or
        some type of quilt for hammocking.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kokopellihawk"