Re: Hammock Camping Re: Prussik Knot and others

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
      Recently at The Gathering of ALDHA in Hanover, NH at Storr's Pond I kept my Backpack next to the tent and under the rain fly.  I did not have any food except for a can of almonds which I kept in the pocket of the hammock (underneath) wrapped in my jacket.  No damage.

      My main concern about this is when I am out in inclement weather.  I suppose a pack cover will be useful and that some kind of hanging from trees would keep it safe from curiosity seekers (mice, skunks, raccoons, bear, rats, squirrels, porcupines, etc.).

      Thanks for your input.

      Skylander
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
        I usually lay a ground sheet underneath the hammock and place my pack
        on that. I leave the pack empty and open so that if some curious
        creature wants to investigate they don't have to tear it apart to do
        so. Hanging from a tree hasn't proven to be practical since most of
        the lower branches here are 30 feet off the ground and slope
        downward. I've given up bear bagging and take a canister because of
        this.

        The hammock and fly will keep most of the stuff dry that I lay on the
        ground under it. Wind driven rain may still get under the hammock
        and get stuff wet.

        Has anybody had problems with leaving the pack open on the ground?
        Note, we have no poisonous snakes west of the Cascades so that
        wouldn't be a problem.

        ciyd
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2003
          Bror8588@... wrote:

          > Recently at The Gathering of ALDHA in Hanover, NH at Storr's Pond I
          > kept my Backpack next to the tent and under the rain fly. I did not
          > have any food except for a can of almonds which I kept in the pocket
          > of the hammock (underneath) wrapped in my jacket. No damage.
          >
          > My main concern about this is when I am out in inclement weather. I
          > suppose a pack cover will be useful and that some kind of hanging from
          > trees would keep it safe from curiosity seekers (mice, skunks,
          > raccoons, bear, rats, squirrels, porcupines, etc.).

          Method so far:

          I usually put my food in an ursack and hang it in a shelter or set it
          upside down in the notch between a tree trunk and a branch. This keeps
          water out of it.

          I put my pack, with the compartments open, on the ground below me. If I
          need anything, I can get to it. It is waterproof enough to keep
          everything dry in a blowing rain storm. This is also a good reason not
          to camp over a puddle forming depression. If that is my choice then I
          hang the pack from a tree.