Prussik Knot and others

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
      Thanks for the information regarding the Prussik knot.

      Funny that as long as I have been around that I never heard of it.  I guess I am not too old to learn new things.

      Hammocking was a new venture for me.  After decades of using a tent, this year I bought a hammock.  I sleep fine and am adjusting to the fluctuations in temperature.

      Just one concern.  What do people do to protect their Backpacks when they hammock?

      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Skylander
    • nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
        This is one I wrestled with for a while, trying to find some way to
        bring the pack into the hammock with me. It really never was comfortable.

        I've settled on stuffing the pack into a garbage bag and hanging it
        with my food, or on a tree branch or nearby rock if I'm not worried
        about critters messing with it. I take my hydration bladder and pack
        lid (GoLite Speed) into the hammock with me and hang them from the
        ridge line, which keeps them handy but out of the way.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:

        > Just one concern. What do people do to protect their Backpacks when
        they
        > hammock?
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions?
        >
        > Skylander
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2003
          Skylander

          This also depends a lot on which hammock and which pack you use.
          Like cyid and others, I put my pack under the hammock. If I am
          expecting rain I take a bag to put it in. If I get supprised I use
          what I have to manage. The other night I used my Frogg Togg top to
          help protect my pack. It worked pretty good. I saw what Dave did
          and it works better than most as far as efficeincy. He hung his
          food bag and this left very little other stuff. He put his pack in
          between the 2 layers of his Speer type hammock at the foot end. he
          had some rope to keep it from sliding to the center. This saved
          using a full length pad for mild weather. Of course it works good
          because the pack was a breeze and had no stifff susmension
          components. Might not work as good with my GG Nimbus Ozone.

          Coy Boy