Cord for Tarp

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
      Just a little observation to pass along about nylon cord for tarps.
      I recently bought some of the neon yellow #18 braided nylon masons
      twine and rigged a new tarp that I am working on with a full
      ridgeline attached with Prusik knots. The neon yellow looked pretty
      promising and the price was real good, $4 for a 250' roll. It was
      very limp and it was difficult to work the knots with this cord. I
      couldn't find the breaking strength but was confident that it was a
      lot less than the 275lbs that the 1/16" spectra core pulse line from
      Yale Cordage that I am currently using for my tarps and I kind of
      liked that because I would prefer for the cord to break before the
      tarp is damaged.

      Anyway, I set up my tarp with the masons twine and left it out
      overnight for the tarp to air out. As we all know, silnylon tarps
      have a tendency to sag during the night... but when I checked in out
      in the morning the sag was pathetic. I am talking major drooping. I
      re-rigged the tarp with the 1/16" spectra core pulse line and hung
      the tarp up over a ridgeline attached with Prusik knots yesterday.
      When I checked the tarp this morning the ridgeline was still taut, I
      could see that the tarp was not stretched out as tight with the
      Prusik knots but it was not anywhere near the sag I had when I used
      the nylon mason cord.

      Moral of my story, be careful of the cord you use with silnylon tarps
      because the cord itself can significantly contribute to the
      dreaded 'tarp sag' syndrome.

      Youngblood
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
        I have also unsuccessfully used mason's twine as well as nylon parachute cord.
        Each seems to tangle with the little rough spots on the bark of a tree or with
        little plants on the ground. I also find the knots harder to untie.

        Ed told me, when I ordered the pulse cord from West Marine that I would be
        really happy. 9 months later, I completely agree. It is good stuff for
        rigging the tarp.

        Rick

        Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • Bror8588@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
          What is a Prusik knot?

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
            > What is a Prusik knot?

            A knot from one cord which will slide over another cord. Cavers and
            climbers use it for assending and desending a rope especially
            before the mechanical aids came along. Tree climbers still use it a
            lot. By going around the stake and using the knot on the return you
            can slide it back and forth to vary tension. To see tyhe knot go
            here.

            http://brmrg.med.virginia.edu/knots/prussik.html

            Coy Boy
          • Robert Melvin
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
              Coy,

              Thanks for the reference link.

              A note on the prusik - it is typically formed of a rope or line of
              smaller diameter and greater flexibility than the line it will be
              engaging / wrapped around. The prusik can be formed from a separate
              loop of line (use the water knot to form the loop) wrapped
              appropriately around the line you wish to engage. The free loop coming
              from the middle of the knot can be clipped to with a carabiner or
              whatever is appropriate for your use. The loops of line are very handy
              and flexible in application.

              Robert

              On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 11:17 US/Central, Coy wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
              > > What is a Prusik knot?
              >
              > A knot from one cord which will slide over another cord.  Cavers and
              > climbers use it for assending and desending  a rope especially
              > before the mechanical aids came along.  Tree climbers still use it a
              > lot.  By going around the stake and using the knot on the return you
              > can slide it back and forth to vary tension.  To see tyhe knot go
              > here.
              >
              > http://brmrg.med.virginia.edu/knots/prussik.html
              >
              > Coy Boy
            • Tee
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
                http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/Ascender/KnotPages/

                http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/prusik_knot.html
                At 10:59 AM 10/18/03 -0400, you wrote:
                >What is a Prusik knot?
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
                  Yep and in the case of using it for a fly line tensioner I was
                  really meaning the tautline hitch. It is almost the same but I
                  think the correct term when tying back to the same line. I do use
                  a true prusik for attaching my fly to the ridge line. Dave showed
                  me the clove hitch which also works great for the fly to stake
                  knot. The tautline is like this.

                  http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/tautlinehitch.htm

                  I was a tree trimmer many years ago and used this. I heard it
                  called a tautline hitch and prusik.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Melvin
                  <robertmelvin@s...> wrote:
                  > Coy,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reference link.
                  >
                  > A note on the prusik - it is typically formed of a rope or line of
                  > smaller diameter and greater flexibility than the line it will be
                  > engaging / wrapped around. The prusik can be formed from a
                  separate
                  > loop of line (use the water knot to form the loop) wrapped
                  > appropriately around the line you wish to engage. The free loop
                  coming
                  > from the middle of the knot can be clipped to with a carabiner or
                  > whatever is appropriate for your use. The loops of line are very
                  handy
                  > and flexible in application.
                  >
                  > Robert
                  >

                  > On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 11:17 US/Central, Coy wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                  > > > What is a Prusik knot?
                  > >
                  > > A knot from one cord which will slide over another cord.  Cavers
                  and
                  > > climbers use it for assending and desending  a rope especially
                  > > before the mechanical aids came along.  Tree climbers still use
                  it a
                  > > lot.  By going around the stake and using the knot on the return
                  you
                  > > can slide it back and forth to vary tension.  To see tyhe knot go
                  > > here.
                  > >
                  > > http://brmrg.med.virginia.edu/knots/prussik.html
                  > >
                  > > Coy Boy
                • uluheman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 18, 2003
                    Just a short list of unusual cordage I've found useful, including
                    some odd suppliers:

                    --venetian mini-blind cord is great; obviously, it's found at drapery
                    stores

                    --kite stores carry some very useful cordage

                    --marine fishing suppliers carry "longline" cordage in various
                    diameters; some of it is useful, and inexpensive, too

                    Brandon in Honolulu
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 20, 2003
                      Message
                      Thanks for the link Coy--this is a very handy knot for tensioning guidelines, but I'd forgotten how tho tie it!  Youngblood showed it to me a few months ago, but I immediately forgot how it was done.  Your post and link encourged me to get out a piece of cord and burn the tying into my dense brain--now I've got it!  ....Ed

                      <robertmelvin@s...> wrote:
                      > Coy,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the reference link.
                      >
                      > A note on the prusik - it is typically formed of a rope or line of
                      > smaller diameter and greater flexibility than the line it will be
                      > engaging / wrapped around.  The prusik can be formed from a
                      separate
                      > loop of line (use the water knot to form the loop) wrapped
                      > appropriately around the line you wish to engage.  The free loop
                      coming
                      > from the middle of the knot can be clipped to with a carabiner or
                      > whatever is appropriate for your use.  The loops of line are very
                      handy
                      > and flexible in application.
                      >
                      > Robert
                      >

                      > On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 11:17 US/Central, Coy wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                      > > > What is a Prusik knot?
                      > >
                      > > A knot from one cord which will slide over another cord.  Cavers
                      and
                      > > climbers use it for assending and desending  a rope especially
                      > > before the mechanical aids came along.  Tree climbers still use
                      it a
                      > > lot.  By going around the stake and using the knot on the return
                      you
                      > > can slide it back and forth to vary tension.  To see tyhe knot go
                      > > here.
                      > >
                      > > http://brmrg.med.virginia.edu/knots/prussik.html
                      > >
                      > > Coy Boy

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 20, 2003
                        Hi Ed

                        It is shocking how easy it is to forget a knot (especially if you
                        don't tie it regularly). I know because I used to could tie a
                        running bowline in my sleep and needed it the other day and couldnt
                        remember it. I was cutting down a tree close to a house and wanted
                        to tie the running bowline so it would give me an easy to untie knot
                        once I pulled it hard to keep the tree headed in the right
                        direction. After the rope is over a limb I remember taking both
                        ends of the in seperate hands, fliping my wrist to form a loop with
                        one hand and pushing the other rope through and around somehow. I
                        think I'll do a search and refresh my memory... or whatever you
                        call my recalling powers.

                        Coy Boy

                        > Thanks for the link Coy--this is a very handy knot for tensioning
                        > guidelines, but I'd forgotten how tho tie it! Youngblood showed
                        it to me a
                        > few months ago, but I immediately forgot how it was done. Your
                        post and
                        > link encourged me to get out a piece of cord and burn the tying
                        into my
                        > dense brain--now I've got it! ....Ed

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                        7050658

                        43:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
                        nattogy
                        > o?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054> Click Here!
                        >
                        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                        M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupmai

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 20, 2003
                          Message
                          This was very timely since I was out this past weekend and trying to set up my tarp once again wishing I could remember the knot Dave showed me.  Instead i had to rely on a trucker's hitch, which works well but is more complicated than the tautline hitch.  I was at the Southeast Foot Trails Coalitation meeting in Monteagle, TN but didn't have time to do any of the fine hikes nearby--maybe next time...Ed

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 24, 2003
                            Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
                            Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right - the
                            running end of the rope should go in the same direction around the
                            standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the direction
                            from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
                            technically not a tautline:

                            http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index

                            Cheers!

                            Steve

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
                              Steve, in looking over troop9's web site I noticed one thing that I
                              like to do different. I like to attach the tautline to the tent
                              instead of the stake; I find it much easier to reach the tent when I
                              want to make adjustments and I really like using a clove hitch on my
                              stakes. A clove hitch is very easy to tie/untie on a stake (you just
                              form two loops to tie and slide it of the end of the stake to un-tie)
                              and if the stake loses its purchase, the stake will be easier to find
                              because the cord will still be attached with the clove hitch.

                              Dave

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:
                              > Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
                              > Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right -
                              the
                              > running end of the rope should go in the same direction around the
                              > standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the direction
                              > from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
                              > technically not a tautline:
                              >
                              > http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index
                              >
                              > Cheers!

                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
                                I agree, Dave - that's how I usually tie it - I just liked the
                                animation they used in showing how to tie the knot! I usually use a
                                2 half-hitch on my stakes, then a tautline on the tarp/tent
                                side..... I think they probably did it this way because some tents
                                come with the lines 'factory-attached' to the tent side.....

                                > Steve, in looking over troop9's web site I noticed one thing that I
                                > like to do different. I like to attach the tautline to the tent
                                > instead of the stake; I find it much easier to reach the tent when
                                > want to make adjustments and I really like using a clove hitch on
                                my
                                > stakes. A clove hitch is very easy to tie/untie on a stake (you
                                just
                                > form two loops to tie and slide it of the end of the stake to un-
                                tie)
                                > and if the stake loses its purchase, the stake will be easier to
                                find
                                > because the cord will still be attached with the clove hitch.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:
                                > > Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
                                > > Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right -
                                > the
                                > > running end of the rope should go in the same direction around
                                the
                                > > standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the
                                direction
                                > > from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
                                > > technically not a tautline:
                                > >
                                > > http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index
                                > >
                                > > Cheers!

                              • ciyd01
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
                                  Ever had one of those moments where you read something and a little
                                  voice in your head says "Duh!?" I can't believe I'm so obtuse at
                                  times. I mean, I'm an engineer for crying out loud, I should have
                                  thought of this.

                                  Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm now off to re-do all my tie out
                                  lines on my rain fly. I've been using the clove hitch back on the
                                  line to adjust tension, but it's not the most secure.

                                  <shuffles off mumbling>
                                  ciyd