Re: Hammock Camping Savag Gulf TR

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2003
      Ron

      There is no substitute for trying things out in the backyard
      before heading out to the woods. That way you have a good idea
      before hand how everything works together. Sounds like you are
      learning the limits of the different combinations you have. But
      dont forget to factor in the good supper and going to bed pre warmed
      instead of tierd from hiking all day, possible wet from rain, and
      that supper in camp which wasnt pinto beans, steak, and cake for
      desert (well for me anyways camp suppers are not that extravigant).
      If you could find a blanket (one with about 2.5 inches of loft) to
      use instead of the military bag you would probably be as warm. The
      fleece blanket you mention is probably only good down to around 60
      or so and a little better with adding your clothes. But I would
      rather tote another pound or 2 and be warm as try to cut too much
      weight in the sleeping gear department.

      You said hike 10 miles. Is this in 2 days and is it rim trails. If
      so you should be fine carying extra weight. I would try to find a
      lighter solution if the hike went down in the gulf. But I would
      still probably bring the military bag instead of the fleece bag
      reguardless. If the hike is down from Hobbs Cabin be prepared for a
      real tough hike. The rangers told use it was about 5 miles but took
      all day and felt more like 10 miles. Good Luke.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, <wildmanr@b...> wrote:

      > Coy,
      > Thanks for the quick reply, I slept in my hammock up here in
      Hendersonville (Near Nashville) Sat. night and it was in the 50's to
      begin with but later it got down into the 40's and kinda damp (cool
      dampness) front moving in. I started out actually a little warm but
      as the night progressed I ended up in my bag. My setup is (don't
      laugh) GI jungle hammock, Blue pad from target, Extreme cold
      military mummy bag (down and poly), I actually rigged a tarp out of
      an old Quick shade canopy I had and it worked really well....A heavy
      dew had fallen and my hammock was completly dry, not even
      condensation, but the tarp was very wet on the outside. The reason I
      was asking is ( my mummy bag is the heaviest thing on my pack )
      should I Weight or worry....only doing about 10 miles I think.