Hammock Camping Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      wrote:
      > > Might be a good time to create the
      > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

      > Shane

      OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
      up some questions that were left unanswered here.

      =========
      From: "efield" <efield@c...>
      Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

      1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
      can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
      diameter for a backpacking stove.

      quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
      probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
      controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
      the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

      I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
      preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
      be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
      much (black smoke).

      2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
      burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

      heat at mid burn.

      ======================
      From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
      Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
      Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

      I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
      add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
      phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

      added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
      way to extend burn time as necessary.

      If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
      above group. See you there!