Attn Coy Boy

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2003
      Hey CB:

      I read your test report on the Crazy Creek LEX on BGT. Just
      between you and me, how do you think it compares to the HH.
      Should I get one to try out? I'm thinking the obvious
      advantage is the side entry, and the ability to use it as a
      lounger more easily than the HH.

      Bear
    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2003
        Hi David

        Just between us (everybody else can not read this) I would say get a
        HH. Yes the Crazy Crib makes a better chair and is easier to get
        out of but it weighs to much for backpacking and while comfortable
        it is not as comfortable as my HH. Now if you are mainly interested
        in a car camping or short trips with little food to cary the Crazy
        Crib LEX might do. Put it this way. I'd pack the Crazy Crib LEX on
        most hikes over a tent, especially in the summer when a pad would
        not be needed. The extra weight of the Crib would be offset by not
        needing a pad. If you want to build a hammock, the basic crib might
        be a good option.The straps are a cinch to hang and you could add
        bug netting and a silnylon fly yourself and come out a lot lighter
        than the Tarp and (Bung) or Bug enclosure. Plus I would make a pad
        pocket on the underside and the basic has no pocket so you could
        design your own or use your pea pod. One advantage of the LEX though
        is the Hooped poles keep the hammock spread out better. Therefore
        the bottom material does not ride as high on your shoulders, side,
        ect... as my HH does so you can get by with a less wide pad.

        Hope this helps

        Coy Boy

        PS now I'm really of to bed. really

        <dchinell@m...> wrote:
        > Hey CB:
        >
        > I read your test report on the Crazy Creek LEX on BGT. Just
        > between you and me, how do you think it compares to the HH.
        > Should I get one to try out? I'm thinking the obvious
        > advantage is the side entry, and the ability to use it as a
        > lounger more easily than the HH.
        >
        > Bear
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2003
          Coy Boy:

          Thanks for expressing your opinion. I already have the
          Expedition and UltraLight models of the HH. I love using the
          Nomad Travel Tropical hammock, too. And I picked up a couple
          of Crazy Creek hammocks -- just the simple ones.

          I was interested in the LEX as a possible way to get my
          partner, Rita, out in a hammock more often. Did the LEX seem
          roomier inside, compared to the HH? I'm talking about the
          apparent headroom between the hammock and the bugnet.

          I'm reading Ed's book right now, and am really intrigued by
          the idea of tying a hammock out of cloth.

          Of all the systems I've seen, the Crazy Creek webbing seemed
          like the neatest UNTIL I read Ed's method which also uses
          1-inch webbing, but requires no buckle and stays put on the
          trunk at the location you attach it. (Unlike the Crazy Creek
          which can slide up and down the trunk until you tighten it a
          bit.)

          I'm waiting until Ed gets the polyester straps set up, then
          I'm getting a bunch of them to retrofit all my simple
          hammocks.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2003
            David

            I dont think there is any more head room in the crib but the head
            room is longer. Think of a van compared to a VW beetle. The Crib is
            much romier inside but I can actuall get more stuf in my HH. For
            instance I hang my shoes ove the ridge line. With the poles now
            outsice the Crib LEX you loose a potential overhead storage tie out.
            However I would be fairly simple to add a small loop of nylon
            overhead right under where the poles pass through. Out in the
            middle any weight hanging would cause quite a bit of sag. I will
            probably add such a loop at the foot end arch for my shoes (after
            the testing is over. Thanks for the questions. I'm making notes on
            allthis and will be adding headroom measurments ect to my field
            report.

            Coy Boy

            -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chinell"