Re: Hammock Camping Where to get quality down?

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
      Thanks Rick, I just found your link to them from your page on sewing
      your own bag.

      I'm not familiar with Feathered Friends, do you have a link (I'll
      google for them too).

      Shane "Mirage"...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
      > Shane,
      >
      > Thru Hiker has 800+ down available:
      >
      > http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG113
      >
      > I also believe that Feathered Friends will sell down, though I
      have never seen
      > it in their on line catalog.
      >
      > Rick
      >
      > Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@y...>:
      >
      > > All the online outdoor fabric supplies store I know of do not
      offer
      > > down.
      >
      > > I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work.
      Where

      http://www.catalog.com!
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
        http://www.featheredfriends.com/

        Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@...>:

        > Thanks Rick, I just found your link to them from your page on sewing
        > your own bag.
        >
        > I'm not familiar with Feathered Friends, do you have a link (I'll
        > google for them too).
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
        > > Shane,
        > >
        > > Thru Hiker has 800+ down available:
        > >
        > > http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG113
        > >
        > > I also believe that Feathered Friends will sell down, though I
        > have never seen
        > > it in their on line catalog.
        > >
        > > Rick
        > >
        > > Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@y...>:
        > >
        > > > All the online outdoor fabric supplies store I know of do not
        > offer
        > > > down.
        > >
        > > > I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work.
        > Where
        > > > did you get yours from? What fill power did you get?

        Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
          At 06:08 PM 10/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work. Where
          >did you get yours from? What fill power did you get?
          >
          >TIA,
          >
          >Shane "Mirage"...

          First, mix up a batch of fairly stiff mud. Then put on some dark clothes
          and quiet shoes. Head to the town park, and when you see a goose, you . . . .

          If you ar just messing around experimenting, I would suggest cutting up an
          old bag first while you are learning. It is a lot cheaper than having your
          living room fill up with 800+ fill and have it get sucked into your furnace
          system.

          After that see if you can buddy up with a local manufacturer that uses
          down, and tell them what you are planning to do, you can probably get a
          deal to buy some off of them.

          Otherwise go with feathered friends or thru-hiker.

          --
          David Anderson
          Moderator
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
            Feathered Friends also sells what they call "Floor down" that is a
            combination of 700, 750 and 800 fp down. It's what they sweep up off
            the floor at the end of the day. They sell it in pillows and it's
            pretty cheap BUT ... it's floor sweepings and needs to be washed
            before you use it. I read a post by a chap who used it and he
            complained that there was bits of nylon, thread and dirt in his cheap
            FF down. Apparently he didn't get the concept of floor down. When I
            checked a week ago, they had about 100 pillows in stock. For their
            virgin down, they are more expensive than Thrur-hiker. They have
            been known to provide the down filling service for people. You send
            your semi-finished quilt to them and they fill it to your specs. I'm
            not sure what they charge for that, but they're not a very big
            company and they will probably be happy to talk to you about it.

            Their floor down sells for $20 for a 6 oz. pillow. I'm not sure how
            much of that 6 oz is down and how much is pillow. Call them at (206)
            292-6292 to find out.

            The link for that is:
            http://www.featheredfriends.com/sale/saleAccessories.aspx

            ciyd

          • Bror8588@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
              There are a lot of Canada Geese in the parks and they are beginning to grow down for the winter.  Perhaps if you got a net....

              Good Luck!

              Skylander Jack
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                Ciyd,

                Thanks for the info, it looks promising.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                > Feathered Friends also sells what they call "Floor down" that is a
                > combination of 700, 750 and 800 fp down.
              • nazdarovye
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                  I just bought the quilt kit from them, which came with 12 oz of the
                  800+ down. I have no idea how to judge down quality, but it looks good
                  to me - a few darker feathers floating around in it, otherwise really
                  pristine. And the guy ("AYCE" is his nickname) was great to deal with.