Re: Hammock Camping Where to get quality down?

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
      Shane,

      Thru Hiker has 800+ down available:

      http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG113

      I also believe that Feathered Friends will sell down, though I have never seen
      it in their on line catalog.

      Rick

      Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@...>:

      > All the online outdoor fabric supplies store I know of do not offer
      > down.

      > I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work. Where
      > did you get yours from? What fill power did you get?

      Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
        Thanks Rick, I just found your link to them from your page on sewing
        your own bag.

        I'm not familiar with Feathered Friends, do you have a link (I'll
        google for them too).

        Shane "Mirage"...

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
          http://www.featheredfriends.com/

          Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@...>:

          > Thanks Rick, I just found your link to them from your page on sewing
          > your own bag.
          >
          > I'm not familiar with Feathered Friends, do you have a link (I'll
          > google for them too).
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > > Shane,
          > >
          > > Thru Hiker has 800+ down available:
          > >
          > > http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG113
          > >
          > > I also believe that Feathered Friends will sell down, though I
          > have never seen
          > > it in their on line catalog.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > >
          > > Quoting Mirage <web_dawg@y...>:
          > >
          > > > All the online outdoor fabric supplies store I know of do not
          > offer
          > > > down.
          > >
          > > > I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work.
          > Where
          > > > did you get yours from? What fill power did you get?

          Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
        • David Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
            At 06:08 PM 10/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >I know Ray and Rick, you guys recently did some down work. Where
            >did you get yours from? What fill power did you get?
            >
            >TIA,
            >
            >Shane "Mirage"...

            First, mix up a batch of fairly stiff mud. Then put on some dark clothes
            and quiet shoes. Head to the town park, and when you see a goose, you . . . .

            If you ar just messing around experimenting, I would suggest cutting up an
            old bag first while you are learning. It is a lot cheaper than having your
            living room fill up with 800+ fill and have it get sucked into your furnace
            system.

            After that see if you can buddy up with a local manufacturer that uses
            down, and tell them what you are planning to do, you can probably get a
            deal to buy some off of them.

            Otherwise go with feathered friends or thru-hiker.

            --
            David Anderson
            Moderator
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
              Feathered Friends also sells what they call "Floor down" that is a
              combination of 700, 750 and 800 fp down. It's what they sweep up off
              the floor at the end of the day. They sell it in pillows and it's
              pretty cheap BUT ... it's floor sweepings and needs to be washed
              before you use it. I read a post by a chap who used it and he
              complained that there was bits of nylon, thread and dirt in his cheap
              FF down. Apparently he didn't get the concept of floor down. When I
              checked a week ago, they had about 100 pillows in stock. For their
              virgin down, they are more expensive than Thrur-hiker. They have
              been known to provide the down filling service for people. You send
              your semi-finished quilt to them and they fill it to your specs. I'm
              not sure what they charge for that, but they're not a very big
              company and they will probably be happy to talk to you about it.

              Their floor down sells for $20 for a 6 oz. pillow. I'm not sure how
              much of that 6 oz is down and how much is pillow. Call them at (206)
              292-6292 to find out.

              The link for that is:
              http://www.featheredfriends.com/sale/saleAccessories.aspx

              ciyd

            • Bror8588@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                There are a lot of Canada Geese in the parks and they are beginning to grow down for the winter.  Perhaps if you got a net....

                Good Luck!

                Skylander Jack
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Ciyd,

                  Thanks for the info, it looks promising.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                  > Feathered Friends also sells what they call "Floor down" that is a
                  > combination of 700, 750 and 800 fp down.
                • nazdarovye
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                    I just bought the quilt kit from them, which came with 12 oz of the
                    800+ down. I have no idea how to judge down quality, but it looks good
                    to me - a few darker feathers floating around in it, otherwise really
                    pristine. And the guy ("AYCE" is his nickname) was great to deal with.