Hammock Camping Re: Measuring temperatures in a hammock

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
      OH my imagination is quite healthy without your Doc friends
      examining it.

      Coy Boy
      PS I figgured it would be hard to take a good reading off the bottom
      area inside the bag. I imagined you hopping out of the hammock and
      mooning the world to get a good reading. Now I'm kinda disapionted.
      I thought you were really going all out for these test. now I see
      you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
      that?

      PS PS taking a break from some brushpile burning. I drug limbs and
      dug at stumps several hours yesterday. I'm sore all over. Not used
      to that much hard work LOL

      PS PS PS tonight is the big harvest festivel at school. I got to
      start think about getting cleaned up. Later

      just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
        Coy wrote:
        Now I see you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
        that?

        *******
        Not science. Just data. Take it for what it is. It is limited by my lazyness,
        lack of time, and general lack of real dedication.

        ;)

        Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
          Thanks. I'm gonna send this to my techs and see if we can use it in
          our lab. I may buy one for my underquilt experiments, too.

          ciyd

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > Hi ciyd,
          >
          > Fluke 65
        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
            Not to add to Coy's visuals, but ....

            IR probes require a black surface to get an accurate measurement.
            So, are you painting your butt black to get an accurate reading? Are
            you using a sharpie marker?

            Your surfaces should all have the same emmissivity (spelling?) to get
            really accurate measurements. Black paint or tape works, marker is
            acceptable. Non-shiny is preferred.

            ciyd

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
              I just said visiual NOT stimulating visiual! LOL I'd suggest burning
              brush. I just got through cleaning up and I was pretty much black
              all over. OK Rick hop to it. We want reliable data.

              Coy Boy

            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                I did not know that. Very interesting.

                I have used the probe for a number of measurements... water temperature of the
                pool or hot tub, body temperature (fever), temperature of air conditioning ducts
                and heater coils.

                It works pretty good for body temp (shine it in the mouth or under an arm pit)
                without the black. The inside of the bag is black cloth.

                Well, now you have given me something else to check. I guess I can tape up a
                part of my abdomen with electrical tape and see if it seems to matter much.

                Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                Rick

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                  > Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                  It depends. How's that for a waffling answer?

                  If the object is shiny, it makes a big difference as the infrared and
                  visible light all get reflected back to the probe and interfere with
                  the measurement. The theory behind using a matte black finish is
                  that no visible light will be reflected back to the probe. I
                  wouldn't worry too much as the error should be on the order of a
                  couple of degrees. For your purpose, that's probably close enough.
                  I think the abdomen test would be a good indication of whether your
                  skin tone will make a big difference.

                  The Fluke site might have some application notes for you.

                  ciyd
                • Patrick Harper