Pee Bottle in Hammock

  • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
      OK, everyone seems to be well on their way to solving the 'cold butt'
      problems; so here's something new to think about. Am I the only one
      (male, that is) who has tried using a pee bottle in a hammock? Most
      of the time it works great--but I have had a few acidents! Must learn
      to wake up fully before using it.

      I use a 1 liter wide-mouth collapsable Nalgene bottle w/ attached
      lid. The on-my-back technique seems to work better than the on-my-
      side medthod. After each use, I empty the bottle over the side and
      place it back on the ground beneath the hammock, ready for the next
      time. Sure beats getting up in the cold, unwraping all the
      insulators, finding my shoes, wandering around in the dark, etc.
      Like Bear's star gazing from a hammock, using a pee bottle in a
      hammock can add a whole new deminsion to hammocking!...Ed
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
        Deathly silence...

        Ed -- I'd prefer a button hole in the bottom of the hammock
        through which I can run a catheter. Or maybe a hand pump
        system that creates a vacuum in a bottle already sitting on
        the ground, to which I attach a rubber hose with a tiny
        funnel on the end.

        Or maybe a whole umbilical cord through the bottom. I'm
        visualizing my alcohol stove hooked up to a Volkswagen heat
        exchanger, pumping hot air up into the bottom of the
        hammock.

        Bear

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
            Those heat exchangers never worked very good, you'd freeze. Probably
            end up with urincicals.

            > An umbilical cord! Now you're talking. Hot air in and urine out!
            WOW
            > what a concept--let me know how it works...Ed
            >

            > Deathly silence...
            >
            > Ed -- I'd prefer a button hole in the bottom of the hammock
            > through which I can run a catheter. Or maybe a hand pump
            > system that creates a vacuum in a bottle already sitting on
            > the ground, to which I attach a rubber hose with a tiny
            > funnel on the end.
            >
            > Or maybe a whole umbilical cord through the bottom. I'm
            > visualizing my alcohol stove hooked up to a Volkswagen heat
            > exchanger, pumping hot air up into the bottom of the
            > hammock.
            >
            > Bear

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
            05

            065843:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g
            22

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
              Or is it urincicles, or peecicles......

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"
              <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
              > Those heat exchangers never worked very good, you'd freeze.
              Probably
              > end up with urincicals.

              > > An umbilical cord! Now you're talking. Hot air in and urine
              out!
              > WOW
              > > what a concept--let me know how it works...Ed
              > >

              > > Deathly silence...
              > >
              > > Ed -- I'd prefer a button hole in the bottom of the hammock
              > > through which I can run a catheter. Or maybe a hand pump
              > > system that creates a vacuum in a bottle already sitting on
              > > the ground, to which I attach a rubber hose with a tiny
              > > funnel on the end.
              > >
              > > Or maybe a whole umbilical cord through the bottom. I'm
              > > visualizing my alcohol stove hooked up to a Volkswagen heat
              > > exchanger, pumping hot air up into the bottom of the
              > > hammock.
              > >
              > > Bear

              Service
              > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
                > Ed -- I'd prefer a button hole in the bottom of the
                > hammock through which I can run a catheter.

                Um... Having been a hammocker for many years, and in all kinds of weather,
                maybe someone could explain to me why it's so hard just to get up and pee?
                I'm pretty lazy, but I'm not THAT lazy... ;)

                Shane
              • Chet Clocksin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
                  It may not be much of a hassle in the summer when you don't have to deal with the pad and reflector, but it is a pain in the neck to get back in the hammock at night while trying to keep everything in place, putting on your boots and taking them off, etc. (and below freezing out!)
                  Chet

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
                    Message
                    Maybe it's an age thing Shane.  I'm 55 and need to empty the ol' bladder 2-4 times a night. If I have to get up, then I fully wake up and find it hard to get back to sleep.  These things didn't bother me in my younger years when the bladder worked better....Ed

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
                      > Maybe it's an age thing Shane. I'm 55 and need to empty
                      > the ol' bladder 2-4 times a night. If I have to get up,
                      > then I fully wake up and find it hard to get back to
                      > sleep. These things didn't bother me in my younger years
                      > when the bladder worked better....Ed

                      Ah! Well then that makes sense. I hop in and out of my hammock so fast
                      that it's like getting in and out of bed, so I was wondering why some folks
                      seemed so lazy about it. I usually get up about 2:00 AM and stay up until
                      about 3:00. I have never figured out why, but it has been noted by others.
                      (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/thenight.htm)

                      I have terrible insomnia anyway, but with a twist. Either I lay down and
                      pass out cold almost instantly, or I never sleep at all...

                      I can also respect wanting to stay warm. The cold can make everything
                      unpleasant, and the north wind whistling through your crevice at 2 AM is
                      pretty high on my list of things to avoid...

                      Shane

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
                          > Maybe you should cut back on the caffeine a bit Shane...Ha > Ha...Ed

                          Yeah, I get that advice a lot! Trouble is, I don't take any. I do
                          sometimes smoke like a stack, but that's my only vice. I don't even drink
                          Coke anymore...

                          Shane
                        • Susan Turner <HammockHanger@attbi.com>
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                            Yeah, the ole' pee jug. It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
                            tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!! I have mastered
                            it though. (female :D) HH
                          • debweisenstein <dweisens@aer.com>
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Turner
                              <HammockHanger@a...>" <HammockHanger@a...> wrote:
                              > Yeah, the ole' pee jug. It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
                              > tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!! I have mastered
                              > it though. (female :D) HH

                              Sue, are you giving lessons? I've had some success with a 1 gallon
                              ziplock squatting under a tarp, but bottle in sleeping bag would be
                              another matter.
                            • David Chinell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                                Shane and Ed:

                                Maybe it IS an age thing. I'm 53, myself. But it's probably
                                also an expectation thing.

                                At home, I can make it through the night without having to
                                get up at all. In the woods, I have to get up two or three
                                times when it's cold. Maybe I'm just expecting to be able to
                                stay warm because I do at home.

                                On the other hand... some of the most starkly breathtaking
                                experiences of the beauty of nature have overwhelmed me at
                                two in the morning after I've finally gotten up to take care
                                of business.

                                So maybe it's better to work on my expectations than my
                                catheter system, and continue to reap the unexpected beauty
                                of the night forest.

                                Bear
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                                  Message
                                  My hat's off to ya Sue!  You've just become 'The Master'....Ed
                                  Yeah, the ole' pee jug.  It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
                                  tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!!  I have mastered
                                  it though. (female :D)  HH

                                • Marge Prothman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                                    Message
                                    Sue,  it would have to be a very large wide mouth bottle for me to attain that feat, and then I would need to have my legs out of the hammock on the ground.  incidentally, on Backpackgeartest, some gals tested the "Travel Mate Urinary Product" you should read their reviews    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/   it is under Personal Hygiene on the front page.

                                    Cheers,  Marge