Hammock Camping Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
      > Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some
      suggest, instead
      > of the liquid?

      I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
      also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
      layed on top of the fuel charge.

      > Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

      The more wet and the more green the wood the more difficult starting
      is (more fluid must be used). Also, when the stove transitions to
      charcoal burning, wet/green wood tends to smoke. So far, blowing
      down on the coals has added enough air to hasten the transition back
      to smokelessness.

      > I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from
      the
      > secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and
      to burn the
      > wood gas. Do I have this right?

      The stove windscreen acts as insulation for the comubstion chamber
      and heats the primary/secondary air. Concerning the secondary air
      inlets, all that happens there is that additional, slightly pre-
      heated fresh air is drawn into the combustion chamber. If you look
      carefully on the picture of the stove body, you will notice that the
      bottom of the secondary-air slit has been pushed toward the center of
      the can. This creates a small venturi that draws in more air (this
      seems to help). On my current stove, I have cut four additional
      secondary slits, two ridges higher & halfway in between the slits
      shown in the picture. Don't know if they help much (or any for that
      matter).
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
        Ray wrote:

        > I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
        > also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
        > layed on top of the fuel charge.

        Yes, I am thinking of the little strips of cardboard soaked in candle wax that
        "NoDrip" told me about on the AT. I have been using them for fire starters ever
        since. They are non-volatile, can't leak, and burn very well.

        I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the weight and pack
        footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the original and
        some mods over the weekend.

        I did go out and look up several of the web references to the downdraft stoves.
        You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something which can be
        used for backpacking!

        Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
          weight and pack
          > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
          original and
          > some mods over the weekend.
          >
          > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
          downdraft stoves.
          > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
          which can be
          > used for backpacking!
          >
          > Rick

          Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
          Ray
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
            Three stoves into this project, I have learned a few things already.

            - the stove works
            - I have been able to get it to work with paraffin soaked cardboard,
            but not with much weight savings over the half teaspoon of lamp oil or
            coleman fuel it takes to get started.
            - One nice thing about the stove is that it can be started with just
            about any fuel. This is a plus for finding a source of fuel anywhere.
            - I tried a version with windows cut in the top 3/4 inch of the can.
            It is not tall enough to create enough draft. It did not work
            - I tried a very light version made from sheet brass and aluminum.
            This works pretty well and fits inside my small pot. However it is
            more fragile and not quite as stable. It also must be used where metal
            sticks can be inserted in the ground. I will post some pics of this
            when I have the weights available.
            - I replaced your bottom screen with a piece of hardware cloth. It
            sits on four tabs that are bent up instead of down. I cut the
            openings for the cuts with a dremmel drill.
            - I am getting boiling times a little shorter than yours. It takes
            about 5-6 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, and the water boils for
            about 8-10 minutes. It does stay hot for many more minutes, because
            of the charcoal heat.
            - I had trouble with the pot stand sticking to the pot. I came up
            with a lighter-weight alternative with less contact area.
            - I can already see that I would be willing to take this little stove
            hiking for a longer trial.

            Great work Ray!

            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
            > > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
            > weight and pack
            > > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
            > original and
            > > some mods over the weekend.
            > >
            > > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
            > downdraft stoves.
            > > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
            > which can be
            > > used for backpacking!
            > >
            > > Rick
            >

            > Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
            > Ray
          • efield
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
              I have a couple of questions.

              1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the can, the
              more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
              backpacking stove.

              2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total burn time?
              Would a taller stove
              give longer burn times?

              Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

              Ed Field

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                Ed,

                Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
                optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
                still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
                tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
                diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

                From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
                time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
                did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
                another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
                and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
                quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
                working its way down through them.

                I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

                BTW,

                There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
                to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
                a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                Rick

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "efield" <efield@c...> wrote:
                > I have a couple of questions.
                >
                > 1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                can, the
                > more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
                > backpacking stove.
                >
                > 2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                burn time?
                > Would a taller stove
                > give longer burn times?
                >

                > Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                  > There is a small chance we should think about moving this
                  > discussion to another group as it has been staying off hammock
                  > camping for quite a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                  I have a couple of things I'd like to add too, but I'd like to see us move
                  it first. Anywhere you like... Even off list if need be.

                  Might be a good time to create the 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on
                  Yahoo...

                  Shane
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                    > Might be a good time to create the
                    > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                    Shane
                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 6, 2003
                      That was satorical right.

                      I agree 1% we also need a list for where do you live. I'd rather
                      have a few list with reliable informaation than a seperate list for
                      ever topic under the sun.

                      Coy Boy

                      -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > > Might be a good time to create the
                      > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                      > Shane
                    • Ray Garlington
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > > Might be a good time to create the
                        > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                        > Shane

                        OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
                        up some questions that were left unanswered here.

                        =========
                        From: "efield" <efield@c...>
                        Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

                        1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                        can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
                        diameter for a backpacking stove.

                        quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
                        probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
                        controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
                        the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

                        I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
                        preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
                        be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
                        much (black smoke).

                        2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                        burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

                        heat at mid burn.

                        ======================
                        From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
                        Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
                        Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

                        I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
                        add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
                        phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

                        added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
                        way to extend burn time as necessary.

                        If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
                        above group. See you there!