Re: Bag of Feathers

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
      I dug out the speer hammock, GI shell version 1 (couldn't find my
      version 2 shell!) and set it up. Air temp was about 45F.

      The pad is about 60" by 30", has all the feathers from an Army mummy
      bag in it and no baffles. I'd estimate that 1/2 the feathers can
      come out and maintain adequate loft. As it is now, there is no
      problem with down shifting, and 45F is abosolutely no challenge with
      regard to keeping warm.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
        Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

        Youngblood

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
          > Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

          Right now about 8 inches. I'd probably be happy with 4.
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
            Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
            temperature rating?

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
              > Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
              > temperature rating?

              Yes. I'd like to end up with 4" loft and 14oz. of weight.
            • Thomas Peltier
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003

                Thanks Ray,

                I think I’m going to build my hammock over the next few days.  I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.

                Tom