Re: Measuring temperatures in a hammock

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
      Rick,

      Pretty neat! I think you are going to uncover a lot of things about
      staying warm in a hammock with your technique. You will be able to
      sort through the "which pad keeps you warmer" issue. How much are
      you charging to quantify different pads & blankets? :-) Are you able
      to make these measurements yourself or is this a two person operation?

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
      > Hi cold weather warriors!
      >
      > I did a little experiment last night and measured the temperature
      > outside and inside my hammock and bag. Outside air temperature was
      > about 35 degrees. I took measurements 3 and 5 hours after going to
      bed.

      > This is what I found:
      >
      > I went to bed at 1015 PM. All temperatures below are degrees
      Fahrenheit.

    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
        Thanks Dave,

        It is really pretty simple to make the measurements. I point the device at me
        or at the sleeping bag surface and push a button. So it is easy to do this as a
        one person op - whenever I happen to wake up for a bio-break.

        I have these memories of last winter, making it through some of the cold nights,
        knowing that I did OK, but that my skin was really very cold as I took my
        morning shower.

        I hope this method can help me understand different pads, insulators, and the
        effect of wind a little better. Perhaps some of the data I collect for my own
        understanding can be of a little use to others too.

        Rick

        Quoting Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>:

        > Rick,
        >
        > Pretty neat! I think you are going to uncover a lot of things about
        > staying warm in a hammock with your technique.
        Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
          Not to be too much of a geek here, but what temperature measuring
          device are you using, brand and model number?

          ciyd

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > Thanks Dave,
          >
          > It is really pretty simple to make the measurements. I point the
          device at me
          > or at the sleeping bag surface and push a button. So it is easy to
          do this as a
          > one person op - whenever I happen to wake up for a bio-break.
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
            I'm getting a visual here. Rick pointing the Fluke at his bottom,
            the nosy neighbors spying and wondering what the heck is going on
            here.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
              Hi ciyd,

              Fluke 65

              See:

              http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/thermometers/65.htm

              Rick

              Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                > I'm getting a visual here. Rick pointing the Fluke at his bottom,
                > the nosy neighbors spying and wondering what the heck is going on
                > here.

                Wrong visual:

                -2AM (no neighbors)
                -Inside sleeping bag
                -Inside hammock
                -Under tarp

                Also nearest neighbors house about 500 yards away.

                So, nothing to see, no one to see it, not even a good way to spy.

                Sorry to burst the bubble. However, I have some friends that might be
                interested in discussing your imagination with you... clinical friends...

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                  OH my imagination is quite healthy without your Doc friends
                  examining it.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS I figgured it would be hard to take a good reading off the bottom
                  area inside the bag. I imagined you hopping out of the hammock and
                  mooning the world to get a good reading. Now I'm kinda disapionted.
                  I thought you were really going all out for these test. now I see
                  you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
                  that?

                  PS PS taking a break from some brushpile burning. I drug limbs and
                  dug at stumps several hours yesterday. I'm sore all over. Not used
                  to that much hard work LOL

                  PS PS PS tonight is the big harvest festivel at school. I got to
                  start think about getting cleaned up. Later

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Coy wrote:
                    Now I see you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
                    that?

                    *******
                    Not science. Just data. Take it for what it is. It is limited by my lazyness,
                    lack of time, and general lack of real dedication.

                    ;)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Thanks. I'm gonna send this to my techs and see if we can use it in
                      our lab. I may buy one for my underquilt experiments, too.

                      ciyd

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                      > Hi ciyd,
                      >
                      > Fluke 65
                    • ciyd01
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Not to add to Coy's visuals, but ....

                        IR probes require a black surface to get an accurate measurement.
                        So, are you painting your butt black to get an accurate reading? Are
                        you using a sharpie marker?

                        Your surfaces should all have the same emmissivity (spelling?) to get
                        really accurate measurements. Black paint or tape works, marker is
                        acceptable. Non-shiny is preferred.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                          I just said visiual NOT stimulating visiual! LOL I'd suggest burning
                          brush. I just got through cleaning up and I was pretty much black
                          all over. OK Rick hop to it. We want reliable data.

                          Coy Boy

                        • ra1@imrisk.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                            I did not know that. Very interesting.

                            I have used the probe for a number of measurements... water temperature of the
                            pool or hot tub, body temperature (fever), temperature of air conditioning ducts
                            and heater coils.

                            It works pretty good for body temp (shine it in the mouth or under an arm pit)
                            without the black. The inside of the bag is black cloth.

                            Well, now you have given me something else to check. I guess I can tape up a
                            part of my abdomen with electrical tape and see if it seems to matter much.

                            Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                            Rick

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                              > Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                              It depends. How's that for a waffling answer?

                              If the object is shiny, it makes a big difference as the infrared and
                              visible light all get reflected back to the probe and interfere with
                              the measurement. The theory behind using a matte black finish is
                              that no visible light will be reflected back to the probe. I
                              wouldn't worry too much as the error should be on the order of a
                              couple of degrees. For your purpose, that's probably close enough.
                              I think the abdomen test would be a good indication of whether your
                              skin tone will make a big difference.

                              The Fluke site might have some application notes for you.

                              ciyd
                            • Patrick Harper