Re: Success at 23 degrees F

  • Scott A. Ferguson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
      > Equipment: Risk's Bag, tightened around my neck, fleece balaclava,
      > polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms, nylon shorts. Sealskinz socks
      > over polypropylene socks. Quarterweight hammock with bugnet closed and with
      > Target overlap pad. 5x10 foot tarp over hammock.

      Is this using your new bag as pictured in your AT trip report, where it is
      overtop/surrounding your hammock? I am refering to the pic that of your setup
      inside a shleter. Or is this with the bag inside the hammock (only surrounding
      you)?

      Thanks for the info. Glad someone has the time and inclination to do the
      testing that many of us "lurkers" dream about. Must get off my "lazy a$$" and
      try some of this myself.

      saF

      =====
      Scott A. Ferguson
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
        Hi Scott,

        > Is this using your new bag as pictured in your AT trip report, where it is
        > overtop/surrounding your hammock? I am refering to the pic that of your
        > setup
        > inside a shleter. Or is this with the bag inside the hammock (only
        > surrounding
        > you)?

        Actually I have two bags that are the same color. The one in the picture from
        the AT is my polarguard bag. I was using it with just a little BS pad (15x36
        inches) and was quite cold in 45 degree weather. I had to wear my long
        underwear and my FroggToggs. It was a little frightening to be using ALL my
        cold protection. I generally like to have a layer of protection left. The only
        trick left up my sleeve would have been to get up and start a fire or do some
        exercise.

        The new down bag is also light blue, and the IR thermometer measurements on the
        site are using it like a regular sleeping bag in the hammock, on top of the
        "overlap pad" as I have described elsewhere on my homepages.

        > Thanks for the info. Glad someone has the time and inclination to do the
        > testing that many of us "lurkers" dream about.

        Thanks for the kudos Scott.
        I just thought it was time to get more detail than "it slept warm".

        Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
      • Patrick Harper
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
          Rick, I was just wondering if you have had a problem with condensation with the overlap pad?

          I bought some velcro tape and two blue pads.  I made an overlap pad out of one of them (securing them with velcro) and then I velcroed that to the full length pad (3 layers from shoulder to hips, one laver everywhere else.)  I just went on a geology class trip (still in school) to Arkansas this last weekend and used that pad for the first time.  I also used a 0 degree slumberjack synthetic bag.  I don't think that I really needed all of that, it didn't end up getting that cold.  Both nights I had quite a bit of condensation between the pad and the bag.  Is this a problem that you have noticed? (I don't THINK that I missed a middle of the night pee break, pretty sure it is condensation!!!) :)  This was used in a HH, hence the velcro (Trying not to have it shift on me).

          Anyway, the pad worked great!  I slept in some sweat pant type pants (pretty light weight) and a tee shirt and ended up having to unzip my bag b/c I got too warm.  I think that the temp maybe got down to 40s.

          The good thing is that on the last night of the trip it opened up and poured!  My first hammock experience through a rain storm, kept me up checking to be sure I was staying dry ( I didn't have the fly battened down too tightly b/c of condensation).  Quite a bit of wind, as well.  We were up on the top of one of the Ouachita mtns.  Stayed nice and dry, unlike most of the other people.  The ground got supersaturated and we ended up with ~1inch puddles everywhere on the ground.  Needless to say I think that everybody on the trip is going to look into hammocks now!

          Thanks for the idea, as well as the continual experimentation!

          -Patrick

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
            Patrick Harper wrote:

            > Rick, I was just wondering if you have had a problem with condensation
            > with the overlap pad?

            No Patrick, I have never had much of a problem with condensation except
            on top of my sleeping bag/quilt when I do not use a tarp. I have heard
            that others have this problem. I try to regulate my temperature pretty
            closely, getting out of part of my bag if I start getting hot.

            Rick

            > I bought some velcro tape and two blue pads. I made an overlap pad
            > out of one of them (securing them with velcro) and then I velcroed
            > that to the full length pad (3 layers from shoulder to hips, one laver
            > everywhere else.) I just went on a geology class trip (still in
            > school) to Arkansas this last weekend and used that pad for the first
            > time. I also used a 0 degree slumberjack synthetic bag. I don't
            > think that I really needed all of that, it didn't end up getting that
            > cold. Both nights I had quite a bit of condensation between the pad
            > and the bag. Is this a problem that you have noticed? (I don't THINK
            > that I missed a middle of the night pee break, pretty sure it is
            > condensation!!!) :) This was used in a HH, hence the velcro (Trying
            > not to have it shift on me).
            >
            > Anyway, the pad worked great! I slept in some sweat pant type pants
            > (pretty light weight) and a tee shirt and ended up having to unzip my
            > bag b/c I got too warm. I think that the temp maybe got down to 40s.
            >
            > The good thing is that on the last night of the trip it opened up and
            > poured! My first hammock experience through a rain storm, kept me up
            > checking to be sure I was staying dry ( I didn't have the fly battened
            > down too tightly b/c of condensation). Quite a bit of wind, as well.
            > We were up on the top of one of the Ouachita mtns. Stayed nice and
            > dry, unlike most of the other people. The ground got supersaturated
            > and we ended up with ~1inch puddles everywhere on the ground.
            > Needless to say I think that everybody on the trip is going to look
            > into hammocks now!
            >
            > Thanks for the idea, as well as the continual experimentation!

            Great story Patrick! I am glad you stayed dry. It is fun watching a
            lot of water accumulating on the ground. I have spent many nights
            trying to keep my sleeping bag dry in a tent in those conditions. It is
            much easier for me in the hammock.

            Keep experimenting and learning.