Re: Bag of Feathers

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier" <Thomas@G...>
      wrote:
      > Ray,
      >
      > I think you were the one who made the bag of feathers without
      baffles. I
      > was wondering how it is working? Have you have a chance to test
      it? Do you
      > have cold spots or problems with down shift?

      Yes I have made a bag of feathers without any baffles; however, it
      has not been cold enough to test it yet; however, I will set it up
      tonight and see if the feathers settle enough to matter.
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
        I dug out the speer hammock, GI shell version 1 (couldn't find my
        version 2 shell!) and set it up. Air temp was about 45F.

        The pad is about 60" by 30", has all the feathers from an Army mummy
        bag in it and no baffles. I'd estimate that 1/2 the feathers can
        come out and maintain adequate loft. As it is now, there is no
        problem with down shifting, and 45F is abosolutely no challenge with
        regard to keeping warm.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
          Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

          Youngblood

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
            > Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

            Right now about 8 inches. I'd probably be happy with 4.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
              Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
              temperature rating?

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                > Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
                > temperature rating?

                Yes. I'd like to end up with 4" loft and 14oz. of weight.
              • Thomas Peltier
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003

                  Thanks Ray,

                  I think I’m going to build my hammock over the next few days.  I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.

                  Tom