Bag of Feathers

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      Bag of Feathers

      Ray,

      I think you were the one who made the bag of feathers without baffles.  I was wondering how it is working?  Have you have a chance to test it?  Do you have cold spots or problems with down shift?

    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier" <Thomas@G...>
        wrote:
        > Ray,
        >
        > I think you were the one who made the bag of feathers without
        baffles. I
        > was wondering how it is working? Have you have a chance to test
        it? Do you
        > have cold spots or problems with down shift?

        Yes I have made a bag of feathers without any baffles; however, it
        has not been cold enough to test it yet; however, I will set it up
        tonight and see if the feathers settle enough to matter.
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
          I dug out the speer hammock, GI shell version 1 (couldn't find my
          version 2 shell!) and set it up. Air temp was about 45F.

          The pad is about 60" by 30", has all the feathers from an Army mummy
          bag in it and no baffles. I'd estimate that 1/2 the feathers can
          come out and maintain adequate loft. As it is now, there is no
          problem with down shifting, and 45F is abosolutely no challenge with
          regard to keeping warm.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
            Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

            Youngblood

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
              > Ray, how much loft do you thing the feather bag has?

              Right now about 8 inches. I'd probably be happy with 4.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
                Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
                temperature rating?

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                  > Wow, that's gotta be pretty warm. Are you shooting for a 0 deg
                  > temperature rating?

                  Yes. I'd like to end up with 4" loft and 14oz. of weight.
                • Thomas Peltier
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003

                    Thanks Ray,

                    I think I’m going to build my hammock over the next few days.  I’ll let everyone know how it turns out.

                    Tom