RE: October Issue of Hammock CAmping News

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      Message
      Yes Dave, you can make a silnylon tarp by treating fabrics your self--just be sure and soak the fabric well.  I've made similar tarps and pack rain covers that've worked well.  I once made a waterproof tarp by soaking 1.1 ripstop with Thompson's Water Seal!  It worked, but made the fabric stiff so it was noisy in the wind and creased when stuffed into a sack--but it still worked!

      Dave are you going to the Southeast Trail Initiative symposium in TN in late Oct?  I remember you were earlier preparing to do the 'light-weight hiking' discussion.  In fact, you put me on to the whole thing in the first place.  I'll be there giving a workshop on hammocks...Ed