Success at 23 degrees F

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
      It got cold in Dayton last night. The prediction was for high 20s, so I put up
      the hammock.

      Equipment: Risk's Bag, tightened around my neck, fleece balaclava,
      polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms, nylon shorts. Sealskinz socks
      over polypropylene socks. Quarterweight hammock with bugnet closed and with
      Target overlap pad. 5x10 foot tarp over hammock.

      I went to bed at 1015 PM. All temperatures below are degrees Fahrenheit.

      Observations at 0015 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 36
      Wind: 10 - 15 mph
      Outside top of bag top: 47
      Outside of hammock bottom: 47
      Inside of bag top: 81
      Inside of bag bottom: 74
      Abdomen skin temperature: 97
      Buttocks skin temperature: 87

      Observations at 0215 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 29
      Wind: calm
      Outside top of bag top: 43
      Outside of hammock bottom: 40
      Inside of bag top: 82
      Inside of bag bottom: 84
      Abdomen skin temperature: 97
      Buttocks skin temperature: 87

      Observations at 0400 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 23
      Wind: calm
      Outside top of bag top: 39
      Outside of hammock bottom: 36
      Inside of bag top: 87
      Inside of bag bottom: 74
      Abdomen skin temperature: 98
      Buttocks skin temperature: 89

      Sorry about the "Buttocks skin temperature" I do not mean to be stressing
      anyone's sensitivities. It's just that, in my experience, this is the part of
      my skin that gets the coldest in a hammock. Reason may be that it has the most
      pressure on the skin capilaries and presses the insulation of the pad and bag
      the hardest. I am open to changing the term if anyone has a better one.

      I was nice and warm all night. I had been concerned about the wind when I went
      to bed. The tarp protected me well from its effects.

      When we get an even colder night I will be doing more measurements.

      Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
    • Scott A. Ferguson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
        > Equipment: Risk's Bag, tightened around my neck, fleece balaclava,
        > polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms, nylon shorts. Sealskinz socks
        > over polypropylene socks. Quarterweight hammock with bugnet closed and with
        > Target overlap pad. 5x10 foot tarp over hammock.

        Is this using your new bag as pictured in your AT trip report, where it is
        overtop/surrounding your hammock? I am refering to the pic that of your setup
        inside a shleter. Or is this with the bag inside the hammock (only surrounding
        you)?

        Thanks for the info. Glad someone has the time and inclination to do the
        testing that many of us "lurkers" dream about. Must get off my "lazy a$$" and
        try some of this myself.

        saF

        =====
        Scott A. Ferguson
        Halifax, Nova Scotia
        Canada

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
          Hi Scott,

          > Is this using your new bag as pictured in your AT trip report, where it is
          > overtop/surrounding your hammock? I am refering to the pic that of your
          > setup
          > inside a shleter. Or is this with the bag inside the hammock (only
          > surrounding
          > you)?

          Actually I have two bags that are the same color. The one in the picture from
          the AT is my polarguard bag. I was using it with just a little BS pad (15x36
          inches) and was quite cold in 45 degree weather. I had to wear my long
          underwear and my FroggToggs. It was a little frightening to be using ALL my
          cold protection. I generally like to have a layer of protection left. The only
          trick left up my sleeve would have been to get up and start a fire or do some
          exercise.

          The new down bag is also light blue, and the IR thermometer measurements on the
          site are using it like a regular sleeping bag in the hammock, on top of the
          "overlap pad" as I have described elsewhere on my homepages.

          > Thanks for the info. Glad someone has the time and inclination to do the
          > testing that many of us "lurkers" dream about.

          Thanks for the kudos Scott.
          I just thought it was time to get more detail than "it slept warm".

          Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
        • Patrick Harper
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
            Rick, I was just wondering if you have had a problem with condensation with the overlap pad?

            I bought some velcro tape and two blue pads.  I made an overlap pad out of one of them (securing them with velcro) and then I velcroed that to the full length pad (3 layers from shoulder to hips, one laver everywhere else.)  I just went on a geology class trip (still in school) to Arkansas this last weekend and used that pad for the first time.  I also used a 0 degree slumberjack synthetic bag.  I don't think that I really needed all of that, it didn't end up getting that cold.  Both nights I had quite a bit of condensation between the pad and the bag.  Is this a problem that you have noticed? (I don't THINK that I missed a middle of the night pee break, pretty sure it is condensation!!!) :)  This was used in a HH, hence the velcro (Trying not to have it shift on me).

            Anyway, the pad worked great!  I slept in some sweat pant type pants (pretty light weight) and a tee shirt and ended up having to unzip my bag b/c I got too warm.  I think that the temp maybe got down to 40s.

            The good thing is that on the last night of the trip it opened up and poured!  My first hammock experience through a rain storm, kept me up checking to be sure I was staying dry ( I didn't have the fly battened down too tightly b/c of condensation).  Quite a bit of wind, as well.  We were up on the top of one of the Ouachita mtns.  Stayed nice and dry, unlike most of the other people.  The ground got supersaturated and we ended up with ~1inch puddles everywhere on the ground.  Needless to say I think that everybody on the trip is going to look into hammocks now!

            Thanks for the idea, as well as the continual experimentation!

            -Patrick

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
              Patrick Harper wrote:

              > Rick, I was just wondering if you have had a problem with condensation
              > with the overlap pad?

              No Patrick, I have never had much of a problem with condensation except
              on top of my sleeping bag/quilt when I do not use a tarp. I have heard
              that others have this problem. I try to regulate my temperature pretty
              closely, getting out of part of my bag if I start getting hot.

              Rick

              > I bought some velcro tape and two blue pads. I made an overlap pad
              > out of one of them (securing them with velcro) and then I velcroed
              > that to the full length pad (3 layers from shoulder to hips, one laver
              > everywhere else.) I just went on a geology class trip (still in
              > school) to Arkansas this last weekend and used that pad for the first
              > time. I also used a 0 degree slumberjack synthetic bag. I don't
              > think that I really needed all of that, it didn't end up getting that
              > cold. Both nights I had quite a bit of condensation between the pad
              > and the bag. Is this a problem that you have noticed? (I don't THINK
              > that I missed a middle of the night pee break, pretty sure it is
              > condensation!!!) :) This was used in a HH, hence the velcro (Trying
              > not to have it shift on me).
              >
              > Anyway, the pad worked great! I slept in some sweat pant type pants
              > (pretty light weight) and a tee shirt and ended up having to unzip my
              > bag b/c I got too warm. I think that the temp maybe got down to 40s.
              >
              > The good thing is that on the last night of the trip it opened up and
              > poured! My first hammock experience through a rain storm, kept me up
              > checking to be sure I was staying dry ( I didn't have the fly battened
              > down too tightly b/c of condensation). Quite a bit of wind, as well.
              > We were up on the top of one of the Ouachita mtns. Stayed nice and
              > dry, unlike most of the other people. The ground got supersaturated
              > and we ended up with ~1inch puddles everywhere on the ground.
              > Needless to say I think that everybody on the trip is going to look
              > into hammocks now!
              >
              > Thanks for the idea, as well as the continual experimentation!

              Great story Patrick! I am glad you stayed dry. It is fun watching a
              lot of water accumulating on the ground. I have spent many nights
              trying to keep my sleeping bag dry in a tent in those conditions. It is
              much easier for me in the hammock.

              Keep experimenting and learning.