Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Ray

      Thanks for sharing.

      I was trying to imagin where the fire grate (screen) goes. I assume
      just above the bottom primary air inlets but a quote from
      the "description section says "A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted
      to the bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary
      air to the bottom of the fuel supply." It does go up from the
      bottom about an inch, right? Also how do you attach the grate?

      I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.
      I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
      similar stoves need. I also like that it dosent need a battery.
      I'm guessing the liquid fuel pre starter serves a similar function
      in getting it going good then drafting takes over.

      What can are you using. I have a maxwell house coffe can which would
      probably work great. I might even leave it tall and use part of the
      can for pot supports. It is 4 inches across and 7 inches tall. I
      would put the primary air inlets around the bottom, the grate just
      above that, the slits for secondary air about mid way up the can and
      cut the top down about 1 inch leaving 4 prongs about half an inch
      wide for a pot support. I really like no fan or battery to worry
      with.

      Coy Boy

      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
      > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > I will put together a web page with some
      > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
      >
      > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
        > I was trying to imagine where the fire grate (screen) goes.

        You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of air space at the bottom of the can. I
        just used multiple layers of folded chicken wire and pushed it down
        to the very bottom of the can. You have enough space if you can look
        through one of the primary air holes and see light through the
        opposite one.

        > I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.

        Yes, it surprises me too. Also, no smoke! which is also a nice
        surprise.

        > I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
        > similar stoves need.

        If you do reload this stove as it burns down, it will smoke. It is
        probably better to size the burner to the amount of heat you will
        need rather than try to reload one that is too small.

        > What can are you using?

        I'm using a small can that vegetables came in. It is 3 inches in
        diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall.

        > I have a maxwell house coffee can which would
        > probably work great.

        This can is much bigger than the one I used. It will generate a lot
        more heat and will require more wood. Let me know how it turns out.
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
          > > I will put together a web page with some
          > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
          >
          > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm

          I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am very
          excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a simple
          gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

          Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't clear on
          that point.

          Thanks!

          Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
            Yeah, I agree totally with Shane, that is some neat stuff that Ray is
            doing with his stove. For what it is worth, I came across a great
            reference on stove designs: "The Training Manual for Cookstoves" by
            the Peace Corp. It has some great info about stove designs,
            efficiencies and how they actually work. It has a well layed out
            table of contents that allows you to go to the particular subject
            that you are interested in. When I looked at it, I could see clearly
            why the "real Trangia stoves" were so efficient and also why my
            Japanese Komono grill works so well. It showed me what I had already
            discovered: the efficiency of homemade backpacking stoves is not so
            much in the burner design, but in the design of "all the things that
            make up the stove"; for the popular alcohol stoves it would include
            the bottom reflector, preheat pan, burner, stove stand, wind screen
            and the pot-- the best stove is one in which the dimensions of all
            these things are designed to work together. Anyway, if you are
            interested the Peace Corp stove manual can be found at
            http://tinyurl.com/pkju

            Like I said, it has some great info about stoves and how they work.
            And Ray, keep up the good work and don't fret about using alcohol to
            start your stove-- it is good to have for other purposes anyway, like
            as a disinfectant for your hands.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
            wrote:
            > > > I will put together a web page with some
            > > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
            > >
            > > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
            >
            > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
            very
            > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
            simple
            > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
            >
            > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
            clear on
            > that point.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Shane Steinkamp
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
              wrote:
              > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
              very
              > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
              simple
              > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

              Shane,

              Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
              fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
              where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
              would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
              be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).

              > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
              clear on
              > that point.

              Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
              update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
              then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
              a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
              air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
              going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
              except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
              top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
              in about 5 minutes.

              Ray
            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                Ray,

                Great reading on this little stove you have designed. The weekend promises some
                time to try it out.

                A few questions:

                Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some suggest, instead
                of the liquid?

                Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from the
                secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and to burn the
                wood gas. Do I have this right?

                Rick

                Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                > wrote:
                > > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                > very
                > > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                > simple
                > > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                > >

                > Shane,
                >
                > Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                > fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                > where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                > would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                > be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).
                >

                > > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                > clear on
                > > that point.
                >
                > Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                > update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                > then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                > a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                > air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                > going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                > except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                > top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                > in about 5 minutes.
                >
                > Ray

                Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
              • Ray Garlington
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                  > Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some
                  suggest, instead
                  > of the liquid?

                  I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                  also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                  layed on top of the fuel charge.

                  > Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                  The more wet and the more green the wood the more difficult starting
                  is (more fluid must be used). Also, when the stove transitions to
                  charcoal burning, wet/green wood tends to smoke. So far, blowing
                  down on the coals has added enough air to hasten the transition back
                  to smokelessness.

                  > I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from
                  the
                  > secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and
                  to burn the
                  > wood gas. Do I have this right?

                  The stove windscreen acts as insulation for the comubstion chamber
                  and heats the primary/secondary air. Concerning the secondary air
                  inlets, all that happens there is that additional, slightly pre-
                  heated fresh air is drawn into the combustion chamber. If you look
                  carefully on the picture of the stove body, you will notice that the
                  bottom of the secondary-air slit has been pushed toward the center of
                  the can. This creates a small venturi that draws in more air (this
                  seems to help). On my current stove, I have cut four additional
                  secondary slits, two ridges higher & halfway in between the slits
                  shown in the picture. Don't know if they help much (or any for that
                  matter).
                • ra1@imrisk.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Ray wrote:

                    > I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                    > also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                    > layed on top of the fuel charge.

                    Yes, I am thinking of the little strips of cardboard soaked in candle wax that
                    "NoDrip" told me about on the AT. I have been using them for fire starters ever
                    since. They are non-volatile, can't leak, and burn very well.

                    I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the weight and pack
                    footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the original and
                    some mods over the weekend.

                    I did go out and look up several of the web references to the downdraft stoves.
                    You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something which can be
                    used for backpacking!

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                      > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                      weight and pack
                      > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                      original and
                      > some mods over the weekend.
                      >
                      > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                      downdraft stoves.
                      > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                      which can be
                      > used for backpacking!
                      >
                      > Rick

                      Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                      Ray
                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                        Three stoves into this project, I have learned a few things already.

                        - the stove works
                        - I have been able to get it to work with paraffin soaked cardboard,
                        but not with much weight savings over the half teaspoon of lamp oil or
                        coleman fuel it takes to get started.
                        - One nice thing about the stove is that it can be started with just
                        about any fuel. This is a plus for finding a source of fuel anywhere.
                        - I tried a version with windows cut in the top 3/4 inch of the can.
                        It is not tall enough to create enough draft. It did not work
                        - I tried a very light version made from sheet brass and aluminum.
                        This works pretty well and fits inside my small pot. However it is
                        more fragile and not quite as stable. It also must be used where metal
                        sticks can be inserted in the ground. I will post some pics of this
                        when I have the weights available.
                        - I replaced your bottom screen with a piece of hardware cloth. It
                        sits on four tabs that are bent up instead of down. I cut the
                        openings for the cuts with a dremmel drill.
                        - I am getting boiling times a little shorter than yours. It takes
                        about 5-6 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, and the water boils for
                        about 8-10 minutes. It does stay hot for many more minutes, because
                        of the charcoal heat.
                        - I had trouble with the pot stand sticking to the pot. I came up
                        with a lighter-weight alternative with less contact area.
                        - I can already see that I would be willing to take this little stove
                        hiking for a longer trial.

                        Great work Ray!

                        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                        > > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                        > weight and pack
                        > > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                        > original and
                        > > some mods over the weekend.
                        > >
                        > > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                        > downdraft stoves.
                        > > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                        > which can be
                        > > used for backpacking!
                        > >
                        > > Rick
                        >

                        > Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                        > Ray
                      • efield
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                          I have a couple of questions.

                          1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the can, the
                          more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
                          backpacking stove.

                          2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total burn time?
                          Would a taller stove
                          give longer burn times?

                          Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

                          Ed Field

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                            Ed,

                            Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
                            optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
                            still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
                            tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
                            diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

                            From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
                            time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
                            did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
                            another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
                            and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
                            quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
                            working its way down through them.

                            I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

                            BTW,

                            There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
                            to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
                            a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                            Rick

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                              > There is a small chance we should think about moving this
                              > discussion to another group as it has been staying off hammock
                              > camping for quite a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                              I have a couple of things I'd like to add too, but I'd like to see us move
                              it first. Anywhere you like... Even off list if need be.

                              Might be a good time to create the 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on
                              Yahoo...

                              Shane
                            • Shane Steinkamp
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 6, 2003
                                  That was satorical right.

                                  I agree 1% we also need a list for where do you live. I'd rather
                                  have a few list with reliable informaation than a seperate list for
                                  ever topic under the sun.

                                  Coy Boy

                                  wrote:
                                  > > Might be a good time to create the
                                  > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                  > Shane
                                • Ray Garlington
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
                                    wrote:
                                    > > Might be a good time to create the
                                    > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                    > Shane

                                    OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
                                    up some questions that were left unanswered here.

                                    =========
                                    From: "efield" <efield@c...>
                                    Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

                                    1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                                    can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
                                    diameter for a backpacking stove.

                                    quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
                                    probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
                                    controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
                                    the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

                                    I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
                                    preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
                                    be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
                                    much (black smoke).

                                    2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                                    burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

                                    heat at mid burn.

                                    ======================
                                    From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
                                    Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
                                    Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

                                    I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
                                    add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
                                    phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

                                    added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
                                    way to extend burn time as necessary.

                                    If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
                                    above group. See you there!