Re: Hammock Camping Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1 6:55 PM
      More comments inline...

      > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
      > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
      > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
      > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
      > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
      > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
      > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
      > pretty cold.

      That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
      insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
      in the hammock.

      > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
      > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

      I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
      next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
      Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
      "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
      1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
      torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
      top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
      Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
      pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
      slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
      the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

      Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
      as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
      the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
      for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
      bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
      the sleeping bag.

      The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
      Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.