Re: Hammock Camping Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      Patrick Harper wrote:

      > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
      > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
      > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

      Hi Patrick,

      Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
      Think thick.

      Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
      I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
      readers bonkers.

      My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
      think I am.

      Rick
    • nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        More comments inline...

        > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
        starts
        > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
        pad
        > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
        > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
        > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
        > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
        > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
        > pretty cold.

        That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
        insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
        in the hammock.

        > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
        > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

        I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
        next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
        Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
        "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
        1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
        torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
        top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
        Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
        pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
        slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
        the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

        Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
        as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
        the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
        for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
        bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
        the sleeping bag.

        The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
        Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.