RE: Hammock Camping Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • Patrick Harper
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      HAHAHA, to be honest, I saw how my name was spelled and thought it was the original message.  I just noticed that you wrote more!  I won't make you write it that many times, heaven only knows that I am awful at spelling!
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        Patrick (got it right finally)

        Oh and I forgot to answer your question. No I havent tried a
        Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
        today. I feel like I'm on a roll. I have used a 20 degree, a 0
        degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
        bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
        increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
        of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up. I did zip the
        30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

        Coy Boy
        PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
        Insulator.

        > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
        >
        > Pactrick
        >
        > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag. I have
        tried
        > several ways. I actually like using my smaller bag like a quilt
        > with my feet in the bottom but the rest just pulled around me.
        Fact
        > is, I could never get a pad inside this bag even if I wanted to.
        > do have an old school metal valve thermarest pad shaped like a
        > sleeping bag, in fact it is the bottom of a sleeping bag. Down
        > sleeping bags are pretty much usless on the bottom any way.
        > Synthetics fair a little better. I have slept out on a few nights
        in
        > the low 20's upper teens using a blue foam pad and my super wide
        > reflectix/fleece pad. But I think I could have made it with the 2
        > blue foam pads just as well. My reflectic/fleece pad is a
        monster,
        > 40 inches wide at the shoulders and about a pound and a half but
        > makes a really big bundle.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"
        > <pharper@k...> wrote:
        > > I don't know if you meant "Pack-trick" for my name or if that
        was
        > > just a mispelling, but that used to be my trail-name when I was
        > > kid. :) Thank you for your reply, I had one other quick question
        > for
        > > you. Do you use just one bag with the two pads?
        > >
        > > Okay, maybe I have two questions, have you used the Garlington
        > > insulator? Is the two pad thing any comparison to amount of
        > > warmth? I would use the insulator, but with the HH it is a
        little
        > > hard to get rigged right.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Patrick
        > >

        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > > Hi Pactrick.
        > > >
        > > > I would guess having the pad inside the sleeping bag would be
        > > tad
        > > > warmmer but not much. But a therm-a-Rest is not as warm as a
        > blue
        > > > foam (well the thin 1 in therm-a-rest anyways). So to answer
        > your
        > > > question, the wide blue foam under the bag and a smaller cut
        > > fit
        > > > blue foam inside should do the trick. But if not add more
        foam.
        > > > Really nothing but simple laws of phisics at work. It is one
        > > reason
        > > > so many have been experimenting with different types of
        > suspended
        > > > blankets to hang under the hammock. You get a higer loft
        (more
        > > > insulation) but dont have to lug several bulky pads around. On
        > the
        > > > brightside for pads that is, they are cheap and dont weigh
        > much.
        > > > have no remorse using 2 pads for cold weather. Still more
        > > > comfortable than the ground. You can experiment with several
        > > types
        > > > of padding but the less comperssable the better.

> [...]
        This
        > > > seems
        > clothes
        > > > and
        > from
        > > > the

        > > and
        > > another
        > > > have
        > > inside,
        > > Also,
        > as

        > > in

      • Patrick Harper
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          Thank you very much for your help!  I think that I might head on out to Walmart and get a winshield reflector.  Supposed to get down to 30s tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

          I swear our neighbors must think that my wife and I have a horrible relationship, since we just got married in January and I have been sleeping outside an awful lot!

          -Patrick

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            Patrick

            Reply in line:

            >I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and I
            >wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
            >slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
            >from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and an
            >old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)

            This is some good stuff to be able to work with as you tailor your
            preparations for the cold.

            >I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
            >then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This seems
            >to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes and
            >it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
            >questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from the
            >insulating?"

            Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it starts
            to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest pad
            is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
            pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
            very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
            second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
            have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
            pretty cold.

            >I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
            >using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
            >cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I have
            >to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
            >but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
            >would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
            >better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
            >warmth vs. weight debate)?

            I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
            other reports, other than my (biased) ones. I do not know if you will
            be able to juggle the two or three pads inside a HH . I developed the
            overlap pad for a hammock with a double bottom. That double bottom
            holds the pads in place and does not let them slip around. Let us know
            how you do. I have used two foam pads in a HH. And a Garlington
            Insulator. It kept me warm all night to 5 degrees on a snowy day last
            January. At those temperatures we use everything and every trick we have!

            >I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.

            Then time's a wasting!

            I look forward to your reports this next couple months Patrick.

            Risk
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
              Patrick Harper wrote:

              > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
              > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
              > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

              Hi Patrick,

              Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
              Think thick.

              Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
              I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
              readers bonkers.

              My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
              think I am.

              Rick
            • nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                More comments inline...

                > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
                starts
                > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
                pad
                > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                > pretty cold.

                That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
                insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
                in the hammock.

                > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

                I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
                next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
                Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
                "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
                1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
                torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
                top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
                Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
                pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
                slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
                the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

                Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
                as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
                the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
                for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
                bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
                the sleeping bag.

                The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
                Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.