Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      I know yall anit giong to believe that was a mistake again. But I
      really ment Patrick.

      Dont make me write it a thousand times.

      CB

      > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
      >
      > Pactrick
      >
      > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag.
    • Patrick Harper
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        Just thought that I would check! :)
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          HAHAHA, to be honest, I saw how my name was spelled and thought it was the original message.  I just noticed that you wrote more!  I won't make you write it that many times, heaven only knows that I am awful at spelling!

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            Patrick (got it right finally)

            Oh and I forgot to answer your question. No I havent tried a
            Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
            today. I feel like I'm on a roll. I have used a 20 degree, a 0
            degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
            bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
            increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
            of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up. I did zip the
            30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

            Coy Boy
            PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
            Insulator.

          • Patrick Harper
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
              Thank you very much for your help!  I think that I might head on out to Walmart and get a winshield reflector.  Supposed to get down to 30s tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

              I swear our neighbors must think that my wife and I have a horrible relationship, since we just got married in January and I have been sleeping outside an awful lot!

              -Patrick

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                Patrick

                Reply in line:

                >I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and I
                >wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
                >slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
                >from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and an
                >old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)

                This is some good stuff to be able to work with as you tailor your
                preparations for the cold.

                >I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
                >then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This seems
                >to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes and
                >it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
                >questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from the
                >insulating?"

                Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it starts
                to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest pad
                is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                pretty cold.

                >I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
                >using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
                >cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I have
                >to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
                >but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
                >would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
                >better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
                >warmth vs. weight debate)?

                I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                other reports, other than my (biased) ones. I do not know if you will
                be able to juggle the two or three pads inside a HH . I developed the
                overlap pad for a hammock with a double bottom. That double bottom
                holds the pads in place and does not let them slip around. Let us know
                how you do. I have used two foam pads in a HH. And a Garlington
                Insulator. It kept me warm all night to 5 degrees on a snowy day last
                January. At those temperatures we use everything and every trick we have!

                >I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.

                Then time's a wasting!

                I look forward to your reports this next couple months Patrick.

                Risk
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Patrick Harper wrote:

                  > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
                  > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
                  > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                  Hi Patrick,

                  Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
                  Think thick.

                  Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
                  I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
                  readers bonkers.

                  My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
                  think I am.

                  Rick
                • nazdarovye
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                    More comments inline...

                    > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
                    starts
                    > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
                    pad
                    > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                    > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                    > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                    > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                    > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                    > pretty cold.

                    That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
                    insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
                    in the hammock.

                    > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                    > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

                    I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
                    next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
                    Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
                    "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
                    1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
                    torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
                    top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
                    Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
                    pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
                    slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
                    the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

                    Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
                    as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
                    the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
                    for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
                    bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
                    the sleeping bag.

                    The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
                    Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.