Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.

      Pactrick

      It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag. I have tried
      several ways. I actually like using my smaller bag like a quilt
      with my feet in the bottom but the rest just pulled around me. Fact
      is, I could never get a pad inside this bag even if I wanted to. I
      do have an old school metal valve thermarest pad shaped like a
      sleeping bag, in fact it is the bottom of a sleeping bag. Down
      sleeping bags are pretty much usless on the bottom any way.
      Synthetics fair a little better. I have slept out on a few nights in
      the low 20's upper teens using a blue foam pad and my super wide
      reflectix/fleece pad. But I think I could have made it with the 2
      blue foam pads just as well. My reflectic/fleece pad is a monster,
      40 inches wide at the shoulders and about a pound and a half but
      makes a really big bundle.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        I know yall anit giong to believe that was a mistake again. But I
        really ment Patrick.

        Dont make me write it a thousand times.

        CB

        > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
        >
        > Pactrick
        >
        > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag.
      • Patrick Harper
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          Just thought that I would check! :)

          <pharper@k...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > the
          > > > insulating?"
          > > >
          > > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
          > and
          > > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
          > another
          > > > cheap closed cell pad).  Have people tried this?  I know that
          > > have
          > > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
          > inside,
          > > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
          > Also,
          > > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
          > > > better?  Or would having two pads not help that much (as far
          as
          > > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
          > > >
          > > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
          > > >
          > > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you

        • Patrick Harper
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            HAHAHA, to be honest, I saw how my name was spelled and thought it was the original message.  I just noticed that you wrote more!  I won't make you write it that many times, heaven only knows that I am awful at spelling!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
              Patrick (got it right finally)

              Oh and I forgot to answer your question. No I havent tried a
              Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
              today. I feel like I'm on a roll. I have used a 20 degree, a 0
              degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
              bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
              increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
              of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up. I did zip the
              30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

              Coy Boy
              PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
              Insulator.

            • Patrick Harper
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                Thank you very much for your help!  I think that I might head on out to Walmart and get a winshield reflector.  Supposed to get down to 30s tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                I swear our neighbors must think that my wife and I have a horrible relationship, since we just got married in January and I have been sleeping outside an awful lot!

                -Patrick

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Patrick

                  Reply in line:

                  >I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and I
                  >wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
                  >slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
                  >from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and an
                  >old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)

                  This is some good stuff to be able to work with as you tailor your
                  preparations for the cold.

                  >I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
                  >then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This seems
                  >to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes and
                  >it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
                  >questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from the
                  >insulating?"

                  Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it starts
                  to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest pad
                  is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                  pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                  very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                  second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                  have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                  pretty cold.

                  >I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
                  >using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
                  >cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I have
                  >to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
                  >but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
                  >would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
                  >better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
                  >warmth vs. weight debate)?

                  I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                  other reports, other than my (biased) ones. I do not know if you will
                  be able to juggle the two or three pads inside a HH . I developed the
                  overlap pad for a hammock with a double bottom. That double bottom
                  holds the pads in place and does not let them slip around. Let us know
                  how you do. I have used two foam pads in a HH. And a Garlington
                  Insulator. It kept me warm all night to 5 degrees on a snowy day last
                  January. At those temperatures we use everything and every trick we have!

                  >I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.

                  Then time's a wasting!

                  I look forward to your reports this next couple months Patrick.

                  Risk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Patrick Harper wrote:

                    > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
                    > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
                    > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                    Hi Patrick,

                    Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
                    Think thick.

                    Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
                    I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
                    readers bonkers.

                    My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
                    think I am.

                    Rick
                  • nazdarovye
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                      More comments inline...

                      > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
                      starts
                      > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
                      pad
                      > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                      > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                      > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                      > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                      > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                      > pretty cold.

                      That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
                      insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
                      in the hammock.

                      > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                      > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

                      I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
                      next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
                      Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
                      "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
                      1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
                      torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
                      top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
                      Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
                      pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
                      slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
                      the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

                      Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
                      as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
                      the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
                      for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
                      bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
                      the sleeping bag.

                      The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
                      Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.