Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • freak_of_nature_98
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      I don't know if you meant "Pack-trick" for my name or if that was
      just a mispelling, but that used to be my trail-name when I was a
      kid. :) Thank you for your reply, I had one other quick question for
      you. Do you use just one bag with the two pads?

      Okay, maybe I have two questions, have you used the Garlington
      insulator? Is the two pad thing any comparison to amount of
      warmth? I would use the insulator, but with the HH it is a little
      hard to get rigged right.

      Thanks,
      Patrick

      > Hi Pactrick.
      >
      > I would guess having the pad inside the sleeping bag would be a
      tad
      > warmmer but not much. But a therm-a-Rest is not as warm as a blue
      > foam (well the thin 1 in therm-a-rest anyways). So to answer your
      > question, the wide blue foam under the bag and a smaller cut to
      fit
      > blue foam inside should do the trick. But if not add more foam.
      > Really nothing but simple laws of phisics at work. It is one
      reason
      > so many have been experimenting with different types of suspended
      > blankets to hang under the hammock. You get a higer loft (more
      > insulation) but dont have to lug several bulky pads around. On the
      > brightside for pads that is, they are cheap and dont weigh much.
      > have no remorse using 2 pads for cold weather. Still more
      > comfortable than the ground. You can experiment with several
      types
      > of padding but the less comperssable the better.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"
      > <pharper@k...> wrote:
      > > I have a HH that I absolutely love! I am wanting to use it 4
      > season
      > > (as do most people, it seems!) and had some questions.
      > >
      > > I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject
      and
      > > wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
      > > slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece
      bag
      > > from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target
      and
      > an
      > > old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)
      > >
      > > I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag
      and
      > > then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This
      > seems
      > > to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes
      > and
      > > it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
      > > questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from
      > the
      > > insulating?"
      > >
      > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
      and
      > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
      another
      > > cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I
      > have
      > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
      inside,
      > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
      Also,
      > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
      > > better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as
      > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
      > >
      > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
      > >
      > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you
      in
      > > advance for you replies.
      > >
      > > -Patrick
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.

        Pactrick

        It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag. I have tried
        several ways. I actually like using my smaller bag like a quilt
        with my feet in the bottom but the rest just pulled around me. Fact
        is, I could never get a pad inside this bag even if I wanted to. I
        do have an old school metal valve thermarest pad shaped like a
        sleeping bag, in fact it is the bottom of a sleeping bag. Down
        sleeping bags are pretty much usless on the bottom any way.
        Synthetics fair a little better. I have slept out on a few nights in
        the low 20's upper teens using a blue foam pad and my super wide
        reflectix/fleece pad. But I think I could have made it with the 2
        blue foam pads just as well. My reflectic/fleece pad is a monster,
        40 inches wide at the shoulders and about a pound and a half but
        makes a really big bundle.

        <pharper@k...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > the
        > > > insulating?"
        > > >
        > > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
        > and
        > > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
        > another
        > > > cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that
        > > have
        > > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
        > inside,
        > > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
        > Also,
        > > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
        > > > better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far
        as
        > > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
        > > >
        > > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
        > > >
        > > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          I know yall anit giong to believe that was a mistake again. But I
          really ment Patrick.

          Dont make me write it a thousand times.

          CB

          > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
          >
          > Pactrick
          >
          > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag.
        • Patrick Harper
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            Just thought that I would check! :)

            <pharper@k...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > the
            > > > insulating?"
            > > >
            > > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
            > and
            > > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
            > another
            > > > cheap closed cell pad).  Have people tried this?  I know that
            > > have
            > > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
            > inside,
            > > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
            > Also,
            > > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
            > > > better?  Or would having two pads not help that much (as far
            as
            > > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
            > > >
            > > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
            > > >
            > > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you

          • Patrick Harper
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
              HAHAHA, to be honest, I saw how my name was spelled and thought it was the original message.  I just noticed that you wrote more!  I won't make you write it that many times, heaven only knows that I am awful at spelling!

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                Patrick (got it right finally)

                Oh and I forgot to answer your question. No I havent tried a
                Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
                today. I feel like I'm on a roll. I have used a 20 degree, a 0
                degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
                bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
                increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
                of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up. I did zip the
                30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

                Coy Boy
                PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
                Insulator.

              • Patrick Harper
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Thank you very much for your help!  I think that I might head on out to Walmart and get a winshield reflector.  Supposed to get down to 30s tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                  I swear our neighbors must think that my wife and I have a horrible relationship, since we just got married in January and I have been sleeping outside an awful lot!

                  -Patrick

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Patrick

                    Reply in line:

                    >I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and I
                    >wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
                    >slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
                    >from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and an
                    >old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)

                    This is some good stuff to be able to work with as you tailor your
                    preparations for the cold.

                    >I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
                    >then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This seems
                    >to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes and
                    >it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
                    >questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from the
                    >insulating?"

                    Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it starts
                    to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest pad
                    is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                    pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                    very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                    second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                    have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                    pretty cold.

                    >I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
                    >using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
                    >cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I have
                    >to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
                    >but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
                    >would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
                    >better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
                    >warmth vs. weight debate)?

                    I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                    other reports, other than my (biased) ones. I do not know if you will
                    be able to juggle the two or three pads inside a HH . I developed the
                    overlap pad for a hammock with a double bottom. That double bottom
                    holds the pads in place and does not let them slip around. Let us know
                    how you do. I have used two foam pads in a HH. And a Garlington
                    Insulator. It kept me warm all night to 5 degrees on a snowy day last
                    January. At those temperatures we use everything and every trick we have!

                    >I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.

                    Then time's a wasting!

                    I look forward to your reports this next couple months Patrick.

                    Risk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Patrick Harper wrote:

                      > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
                      > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
                      > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                      Hi Patrick,

                      Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
                      Think thick.

                      Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
                      I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
                      readers bonkers.

                      My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
                      think I am.

                      Rick
                    • nazdarovye
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                        More comments inline...

                        > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
                        starts
                        > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
                        pad
                        > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                        > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                        > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                        > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                        > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                        > pretty cold.

                        That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
                        insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
                        in the hammock.

                        > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                        > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

                        I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
                        next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
                        Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
                        "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
                        1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
                        torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
                        top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
                        Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
                        pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
                        slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
                        the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

                        Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
                        as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
                        the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
                        for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
                        bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
                        the sleeping bag.

                        The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
                        Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.