Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Pactrick.

      I would guess having the pad inside the sleeping bag would be a tad
      warmmer but not much. But a therm-a-Rest is not as warm as a blue
      foam (well the thin 1 in therm-a-rest anyways). So to answer your
      question, the wide blue foam under the bag and a smaller cut to fit
      blue foam inside should do the trick. But if not add more foam.
      Really nothing but simple laws of phisics at work. It is one reason
      so many have been experimenting with different types of suspended
      blankets to hang under the hammock. You get a higer loft (more
      insulation) but dont have to lug several bulky pads around. On the
      brightside for pads that is, they are cheap and dont weigh much. I
      have no remorse using 2 pads for cold weather. Still more
      comfortable than the ground. You can experiment with several types
      of padding but the less comperssable the better.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"
      <pharper@k...> wrote:
      > I have a HH that I absolutely love! I am wanting to use it 4
      season
      > (as do most people, it seems!) and had some questions.
      >
      > I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and
      > wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
      > slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
      > from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and
      an
      > old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)
      >
      > I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
      > then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This
      seems
      > to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes
      and
      > it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
      > questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from
      the
      > insulating?"
      >
      > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
      > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
      > cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I
      have
      > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
      > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
      > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
      > better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
      > warmth vs. weight debate)?
      >
      > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
      >
      > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you in
      > advance for you replies.
      >
      > -Patrick
    • freak_of_nature_98
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        I don't know if you meant "Pack-trick" for my name or if that was
        just a mispelling, but that used to be my trail-name when I was a
        kid. :) Thank you for your reply, I had one other quick question for
        you. Do you use just one bag with the two pads?

        Okay, maybe I have two questions, have you used the Garlington
        insulator? Is the two pad thing any comparison to amount of
        warmth? I would use the insulator, but with the HH it is a little
        hard to get rigged right.

        Thanks,
        Patrick

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.

          Pactrick

          It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag. I have tried
          several ways. I actually like using my smaller bag like a quilt
          with my feet in the bottom but the rest just pulled around me. Fact
          is, I could never get a pad inside this bag even if I wanted to. I
          do have an old school metal valve thermarest pad shaped like a
          sleeping bag, in fact it is the bottom of a sleeping bag. Down
          sleeping bags are pretty much usless on the bottom any way.
          Synthetics fair a little better. I have slept out on a few nights in
          the low 20's upper teens using a blue foam pad and my super wide
          reflectix/fleece pad. But I think I could have made it with the 2
          blue foam pads just as well. My reflectic/fleece pad is a monster,
          40 inches wide at the shoulders and about a pound and a half but
          makes a really big bundle.

          <pharper@k...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > the
          > > > insulating?"
          > > >
          > > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
          > and
          > > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
          > another
          > > > cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that
          > > have
          > > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
          > inside,
          > > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
          > Also,
          > > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
          > > > better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far
          as
          > > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
          > > >
          > > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
          > > >
          > > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            I know yall anit giong to believe that was a mistake again. But I
            really ment Patrick.

            Dont make me write it a thousand times.

            CB

            > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
            >
            > Pactrick
            >
            > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag.
          • Patrick Harper
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
              Just thought that I would check! :)

              <pharper@k...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > the
              > > > insulating?"
              > > >
              > > > I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad
              > and
              > > > using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting
              > another
              > > > cheap closed cell pad).  Have people tried this?  I know that
              > > have
              > > > to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit
              > inside,
              > > > but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag?
              > Also,
              > > > would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
              > > > better?  Or would having two pads not help that much (as far
              as
              > > > warmth vs. weight debate)?
              > > >
              > > > I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.
              > > >
              > > > Sorry that this is so long, as well as confusing ;), Thank you

            • Patrick Harper
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                HAHAHA, to be honest, I saw how my name was spelled and thought it was the original message.  I just noticed that you wrote more!  I won't make you write it that many times, heaven only knows that I am awful at spelling!

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Patrick (got it right finally)

                  Oh and I forgot to answer your question. No I havent tried a
                  Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
                  today. I feel like I'm on a roll. I have used a 20 degree, a 0
                  degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
                  bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
                  increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
                  of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up. I did zip the
                  30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
                  Insulator.

                • Patrick Harper
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Thank you very much for your help!  I think that I might head on out to Walmart and get a winshield reflector.  Supposed to get down to 30s tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                    I swear our neighbors must think that my wife and I have a horrible relationship, since we just got married in January and I have been sleeping outside an awful lot!

                    -Patrick

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Patrick

                      Reply in line:

                      >I have read a lot of the older threads regarding this subject and I
                      >wanted to bounce some ideas off of people. I have a 0 degree
                      >slumberjack blue thunder bag, as well as a $15 coleman fleece bag
                      >from Target. I also have the infamous "blue pad" from target and an
                      >old-school thermarest (metal valve and all!)

                      This is some good stuff to be able to work with as you tailor your
                      preparations for the cold.

                      >I have tried sleeping with the thermarest inside my mummy bag and
                      >then had the coleman fleece inside (on top of the pad). This seems
                      >to work alright, but only if I am wearing quite a bit of clothes and
                      >it isn't that cold out (upper 30s to lower 40s). One of my
                      >questions is "does having the pad inside the bag take away from the
                      >insulating?"

                      Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it starts
                      to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest pad
                      is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                      pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                      very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                      second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                      have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                      pretty cold.

                      >I was thinking about rigging an overlap pad from the blue pad and
                      >using that in conjunction with the thermarest (or getting another
                      >cheap closed cell pad). Have people tried this? I know that I have
                      >to have the overlap pad outside of my bag, as it won't fit inside,
                      >but should I also have the other pad outside my mummy bag? Also,
                      >would the thermarest or another cheap closed cell foam pad be
                      >better? Or would having two pads not help that much (as far as a
                      >warmth vs. weight debate)?

                      I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                      other reports, other than my (biased) ones. I do not know if you will
                      be able to juggle the two or three pads inside a HH . I developed the
                      overlap pad for a hammock with a double bottom. That double bottom
                      holds the pads in place and does not let them slip around. Let us know
                      how you do. I have used two foam pads in a HH. And a Garlington
                      Insulator. It kept me warm all night to 5 degrees on a snowy day last
                      January. At those temperatures we use everything and every trick we have!

                      >I just got the blue pad so I haven't tried it yet.

                      Then time's a wasting!

                      I look forward to your reports this next couple months Patrick.

                      Risk
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                        Patrick Harper wrote:

                        > Thank you very much for your help! I think that I might head on out
                        > to Walmart and get a winshield reflector. Supposed to get down to 30s
                        > tonight and the backyard is sounding mighty fine!

                        Hi Patrick,

                        Windshield reflectors are summertime things. They help, but not a lot.
                        Think thick.

                        Oh, we have a prediction for high 20s in Dayton. Outside I must go!
                        I've got to get more skin temperature readings to drive the sensitive
                        readers bonkers.

                        My neighbors don't think my pretty and I are having troubles. They
                        think I am.

                        Rick
                      • nazdarovye
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
                          More comments inline...

                          > Nothing wrong with having the pad inside your bag, except that it
                          starts
                          > to get a little crowded. The first real problem with the thermorest
                          pad
                          > is that it is not very wide. Many people's shoulders or back end up
                          > pressing against the bag and then the unpadded hammock . This gives
                          > very little insulation thickness between you and the cold outside. The
                          > second problem is that the pad must be inflated pretty well to actually
                          > have any thickness at its thinnest spots. Those thin spots will get
                          > pretty cold.

                          That's been experience as well...and if it's inflated enough to ensure
                          insulation, it's probably stiff enough to slip around and be awkward
                          in the hammock.

                          > I am glad to see you are going to try the overlap pad. We have had no
                          > other reports, other than my (biased) ones.

                          I made a doubled pad - not dissimilar to your overlap pad - for my
                          next trip (hiking for a week on the Northville-Placid trail in NY).
                          Since I have a Hennessy, it's going to be stacked inside on the
                          "floor" of the hammock rather than in between layers. It consists of
                          1) a close-to-full-size blue pad (corners rounded off), and 2) a
                          torso-sized, narrower, mummy-shaped cut-down blue pad I'll stack on
                          top of that, directly under me (it could also be slipped inside my
                          Marmot 20° bag, which I might do as an experiment). There's also a sit
                          pad I made from the rest of the second pad that could, if needed, be
                          slipped under my feet or head. I also may improvise something to keep
                          the pads together, but haven't tried that yet.

                          Temperatures will be in the 30s for sure at night, and possibly as low
                          as the mid-20s if a cold front comes through again. My experience in
                          the Sierras has been that a single blue pad actually works pretty well
                          for me in the hammock down until the high 30s, when I start to feel a
                          bit of cooling if there are winds and I'm not wearing warm clothing in
                          the sleeping bag.

                          The same system should work on the floor of a tarp or tent as well.
                          Being made from the blue pads, the whole thing weighs under 13 oz.