Re: Hammock Camping first attempt at a homemade hammock

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      Very cool Coy!

      I am 6 foot and ten feet of fabric is just about right for me. I
      usually have about 2 feet of the hammock between my head and the knot.
      My feet are about a foot from the other knot when I am on my back.

      As for tying the knot, The easiest way is to fold accordion style , but
      make sure that at the end, both ends point up (or both point down. Hold
      the cloth by the pleat at the end and smooth the fabric down so the
      pleats extend a couple feet. Then gather them all up in a "rope-like"
      bundle and tie the overhand knot. If you want to get a little fancier,
      pull up the two ends a couple inches like rabbit ears before tying the knot.

      When you can, I'd suggest going for the webbing solution for the support
      ropes. They are just as light, but may be easier on the trees.

      I can't wait for the pictures.

      Rick

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        I was just guessing on the folds and they are about 2 inches each
        and I did make sure they ended up pointing up at the first and last
        fold. To make the rabbit ears I am guessing you mean pulling the
        outside fabric which is not in a fold really as it is the last one
        and already pointing up up a little more before running my hand down
        the folds before making the knot. I used a basic ovehead knot. In
        fact I have Ed's book but havent cracked it in sevaral months, not
        sure where it is right now. As for the ropes I agree, straps are
        probably easier on the trees but I have been using the same tree now
        for over three years for a lots of overnight test, starting with my
        Original HH and I can not tell I by looking that I have ever used
        these same trees over and over. But looking at the ground you can
        tell it is a regular campsite. I have never even built a fire here.
        My other camping spot down by the creek is the same way but I have a
        fire ring built. But I use the one closser to the house more
        because I can hike down to it at bedtime easier. Of course with the
        HH Expedition I have tree hugger straps but not for the HH Original
        which was my only hammock for over 2 years. One thing that helps is
        to make several wraps around the tree before tying off the knot.
        One thing for sure, with my 20 ft ropes I will be making lots of
        wraps on most trees. When I find some good webbing I may replace
        the rope though. I can also always steal the tree huggers from my HH
        is I need to and may make another set of them.

        Coy Boy

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          Coy wrote:

          > I used a basic ovehead knot.

          Ah, I see Coy.
          This is your problem.
          Be careful if it is a slip knot.

          What Ed recommends is an overhand knot, not one that goes around your neck.

          ;)

          Seriously, take another look at what Ed has in the book.
          Take the time to tie it several times until it is just right.

          BTW, FWIW, AFAIK, the knot in the cloth can always be untied, though Ed
          says it eventually gets stuck. I have slept in the hammock for weeks on
          end and then been able (given 15 minutes of effort) to untie the knot in
          the cloth.

          Rick
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            It's all Rosaleens fault. Ever since she made fun of my spelling it
            has been a curse LOL.

            Coy Boy
            PS I think I'll wear my ovealls to church tonight. Fall is
            definatly in the air. I'll be back online arond 8:30 if my expertice
            is needed. LOL