first attempt at a homemade hammock

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      I went to town this morning and as usual stoped at Fants which used
      to be Hammers Dept store for anybody fimilar with them. As usual I
      spent some time looking over the camo clothing and boots. I asked
      the salesman if they had any camo nylon. Didnt but he said thier was
      some cotton duck in the fabric department. Well I went to look at
      it and decidede it was to heavy and would probably absorb too much
      moisture etc. But I browes through the fabric and found som nylon
      like purple stuff but it had a crinkly feel even thoug it was smooth
      and I could see righ through it. Looked might flimsy though. I
      carried the bolt to the department lady and aske what it was. She
      thought it was rayon. Anyways it was $7.95 a yard. I really wanted
      to get enough for a double bottom but instead went for 10 feet. I
      found some 1/4 poly rope for $2.29 fo 50 feet. Now weight rating
      given. But I decided to try it to. I hurried home and set about
      folding the ends to tie the knot in the fabric. I must not have been
      perfect becaus when I hung it up one side was way looser than the
      other. Is there a trick I am forgetting when folding up the fabric.
      I am thinking that making the fold progressivly shorter or longer
      til the middle is reached the finishin it by going back ti the
      origionl fold width might be worth experimenting on. I'm guessing
      some of yall have already experimented. I also wonder if I did not
      tie the knot exactly the same (in orintation to the top) of the
      hammock. But all is not lost. I can untie everything and start
      over or leave it like it is. Why? Well when I hung it up the low
      side made a perfect seat. When I laid down in it I ras close to the
      edge but in no danger of falling out. I could see out the open
      (long) side real good. the short side was almost a wall of fabric
      straight up but I could see through it pretty good too. I really
      liked it as a seat. it did not cut into my legs like other hammocks
      I have tried and the tall back made by the short side was perfect to
      lean back on. I was still pretty straight up. I could reach the
      ground real easy and I can see cooking from the seat will be a
      breeze. I was by myself but will try to get some photos of it in
      action in a few days. I havent weighted it but I'm guessing it is
      not much over a pound with 20 foot ropes attached. BTW I may cut
      them but I like hate it when I need long ropes and dont have them.
      Needs a tarp and bug netting but for cold weather i need to make a
      pea pod. But that high back side will be a problem if i do. One
      other thing. I may buid another and go with 12 foot length. I am
      broad shouldered and i think the extra lenght would make it squeeze
      at the shoulders a little less.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        Very cool Coy!

        I am 6 foot and ten feet of fabric is just about right for me. I
        usually have about 2 feet of the hammock between my head and the knot.
        My feet are about a foot from the other knot when I am on my back.

        As for tying the knot, The easiest way is to fold accordion style , but
        make sure that at the end, both ends point up (or both point down. Hold
        the cloth by the pleat at the end and smooth the fabric down so the
        pleats extend a couple feet. Then gather them all up in a "rope-like"
        bundle and tie the overhand knot. If you want to get a little fancier,
        pull up the two ends a couple inches like rabbit ears before tying the knot.

        When you can, I'd suggest going for the webbing solution for the support
        ropes. They are just as light, but may be easier on the trees.

        I can't wait for the pictures.

        Rick

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          I was just guessing on the folds and they are about 2 inches each
          and I did make sure they ended up pointing up at the first and last
          fold. To make the rabbit ears I am guessing you mean pulling the
          outside fabric which is not in a fold really as it is the last one
          and already pointing up up a little more before running my hand down
          the folds before making the knot. I used a basic ovehead knot. In
          fact I have Ed's book but havent cracked it in sevaral months, not
          sure where it is right now. As for the ropes I agree, straps are
          probably easier on the trees but I have been using the same tree now
          for over three years for a lots of overnight test, starting with my
          Original HH and I can not tell I by looking that I have ever used
          these same trees over and over. But looking at the ground you can
          tell it is a regular campsite. I have never even built a fire here.
          My other camping spot down by the creek is the same way but I have a
          fire ring built. But I use the one closser to the house more
          because I can hike down to it at bedtime easier. Of course with the
          HH Expedition I have tree hugger straps but not for the HH Original
          which was my only hammock for over 2 years. One thing that helps is
          to make several wraps around the tree before tying off the knot.
          One thing for sure, with my 20 ft ropes I will be making lots of
          wraps on most trees. When I find some good webbing I may replace
          the rope though. I can also always steal the tree huggers from my HH
          is I need to and may make another set of them.

          Coy Boy

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            Coy wrote:

            > I used a basic ovehead knot.

            Ah, I see Coy.
            This is your problem.
            Be careful if it is a slip knot.

            What Ed recommends is an overhand knot, not one that goes around your neck.

            ;)

            Seriously, take another look at what Ed has in the book.
            Take the time to tie it several times until it is just right.

            BTW, FWIW, AFAIK, the knot in the cloth can always be untied, though Ed
            says it eventually gets stuck. I have slept in the hammock for weeks on
            end and then been able (given 15 minutes of effort) to untie the knot in
            the cloth.

            Rick
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              It's all Rosaleens fault. Ever since she made fun of my spelling it
              has been a curse LOL.

              Coy Boy
              PS I think I'll wear my ovealls to church tonight. Fall is
              definatly in the air. I'll be back online arond 8:30 if my expertice
              is needed. LOL