Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > I will put together a web page with some
      > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.

      see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi Ray

        Thanks for sharing.

        I was trying to imagin where the fire grate (screen) goes. I assume
        just above the bottom primary air inlets but a quote from
        the "description section says "A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted
        to the bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary
        air to the bottom of the fuel supply." It does go up from the
        bottom about an inch, right? Also how do you attach the grate?

        I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.
        I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
        similar stoves need. I also like that it dosent need a battery.
        I'm guessing the liquid fuel pre starter serves a similar function
        in getting it going good then drafting takes over.

        What can are you using. I have a maxwell house coffe can which would
        probably work great. I might even leave it tall and use part of the
        can for pot supports. It is 4 inches across and 7 inches tall. I
        would put the primary air inlets around the bottom, the grate just
        above that, the slits for secondary air about mid way up the can and
        cut the top down about 1 inch leaving 4 prongs about half an inch
        wide for a pot support. I really like no fan or battery to worry
        with.

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
          > I was trying to imagine where the fire grate (screen) goes.

          You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of air space at the bottom of the can. I
          just used multiple layers of folded chicken wire and pushed it down
          to the very bottom of the can. You have enough space if you can look
          through one of the primary air holes and see light through the
          opposite one.

          > I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.

          Yes, it surprises me too. Also, no smoke! which is also a nice
          surprise.

          > I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
          > similar stoves need.

          If you do reload this stove as it burns down, it will smoke. It is
          probably better to size the burner to the amount of heat you will
          need rather than try to reload one that is too small.

          > What can are you using?

          I'm using a small can that vegetables came in. It is 3 inches in
          diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall.

          > I have a maxwell house coffee can which would
          > probably work great.

          This can is much bigger than the one I used. It will generate a lot
          more heat and will require more wood. Let me know how it turns out.
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
            > > I will put together a web page with some
            > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
            >
            > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm

            I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am very
            excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a simple
            gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

            Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't clear on
            that point.

            Thanks!

            Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
              Yeah, I agree totally with Shane, that is some neat stuff that Ray is
              doing with his stove. For what it is worth, I came across a great
              reference on stove designs: "The Training Manual for Cookstoves" by
              the Peace Corp. It has some great info about stove designs,
              efficiencies and how they actually work. It has a well layed out
              table of contents that allows you to go to the particular subject
              that you are interested in. When I looked at it, I could see clearly
              why the "real Trangia stoves" were so efficient and also why my
              Japanese Komono grill works so well. It showed me what I had already
              discovered: the efficiency of homemade backpacking stoves is not so
              much in the burner design, but in the design of "all the things that
              make up the stove"; for the popular alcohol stoves it would include
              the bottom reflector, preheat pan, burner, stove stand, wind screen
              and the pot-- the best stove is one in which the dimensions of all
              these things are designed to work together. Anyway, if you are
              interested the Peace Corp stove manual can be found at
              http://tinyurl.com/pkju

              Like I said, it has some great info about stoves and how they work.
              And Ray, keep up the good work and don't fret about using alcohol to
              start your stove-- it is good to have for other purposes anyway, like
              as a disinfectant for your hands.

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
              wrote:
              > > > I will put together a web page with some
              > > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
              > >
              > > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
              >
              > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
              very
              > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
              simple
              > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
              >
              > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
              clear on
              > that point.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Shane Steinkamp
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                wrote:
                > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                very
                > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                simple
                > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

                Shane,

                Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).

                > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                clear on
                > that point.

                Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                in about 5 minutes.

                Ray
              • ra1@imrisk.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Ray,

                  Great reading on this little stove you have designed. The weekend promises some
                  time to try it out.

                  A few questions:

                  Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some suggest, instead
                  of the liquid?

                  Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                  I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from the
                  secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and to burn the
                  wood gas. Do I have this right?

                  Rick

                  Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                  > very
                  > > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                  > simple
                  > > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                  > >

                  > Shane,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                  > fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                  > where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                  > would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                  > be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).
                  >

                  > > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                  > clear on
                  > > that point.
                  >
                  > Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                  > update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                  > then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                  > a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                  > air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                  > going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                  > except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                  > top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                  > in about 5 minutes.
                  >
                  > Ray

                  Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
                • Ray Garlington
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                    > Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some
                    suggest, instead
                    > of the liquid?

                    I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                    also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                    layed on top of the fuel charge.

                    > Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                    The more wet and the more green the wood the more difficult starting
                    is (more fluid must be used). Also, when the stove transitions to
                    charcoal burning, wet/green wood tends to smoke. So far, blowing
                    down on the coals has added enough air to hasten the transition back
                    to smokelessness.

                    > I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from
                    the
                    > secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and
                    to burn the
                    > wood gas. Do I have this right?

                    The stove windscreen acts as insulation for the comubstion chamber
                    and heats the primary/secondary air. Concerning the secondary air
                    inlets, all that happens there is that additional, slightly pre-
                    heated fresh air is drawn into the combustion chamber. If you look
                    carefully on the picture of the stove body, you will notice that the
                    bottom of the secondary-air slit has been pushed toward the center of
                    the can. This creates a small venturi that draws in more air (this
                    seems to help). On my current stove, I have cut four additional
                    secondary slits, two ridges higher & halfway in between the slits
                    shown in the picture. Don't know if they help much (or any for that
                    matter).
                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Ray wrote:

                      > I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                      > also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                      > layed on top of the fuel charge.

                      Yes, I am thinking of the little strips of cardboard soaked in candle wax that
                      "NoDrip" told me about on the AT. I have been using them for fire starters ever
                      since. They are non-volatile, can't leak, and burn very well.

                      I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the weight and pack
                      footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the original and
                      some mods over the weekend.

                      I did go out and look up several of the web references to the downdraft stoves.
                      You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something which can be
                      used for backpacking!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                        > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                        weight and pack
                        > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                        original and
                        > some mods over the weekend.
                        >
                        > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                        downdraft stoves.
                        > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                        which can be
                        > used for backpacking!
                        >
                        > Rick

                        Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                        Ray
                      • Risk
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                          Three stoves into this project, I have learned a few things already.

                          - the stove works
                          - I have been able to get it to work with paraffin soaked cardboard,
                          but not with much weight savings over the half teaspoon of lamp oil or
                          coleman fuel it takes to get started.
                          - One nice thing about the stove is that it can be started with just
                          about any fuel. This is a plus for finding a source of fuel anywhere.
                          - I tried a version with windows cut in the top 3/4 inch of the can.
                          It is not tall enough to create enough draft. It did not work
                          - I tried a very light version made from sheet brass and aluminum.
                          This works pretty well and fits inside my small pot. However it is
                          more fragile and not quite as stable. It also must be used where metal
                          sticks can be inserted in the ground. I will post some pics of this
                          when I have the weights available.
                          - I replaced your bottom screen with a piece of hardware cloth. It
                          sits on four tabs that are bent up instead of down. I cut the
                          openings for the cuts with a dremmel drill.
                          - I am getting boiling times a little shorter than yours. It takes
                          about 5-6 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, and the water boils for
                          about 8-10 minutes. It does stay hot for many more minutes, because
                          of the charcoal heat.
                          - I had trouble with the pot stand sticking to the pot. I came up
                          with a lighter-weight alternative with less contact area.
                          - I can already see that I would be willing to take this little stove
                          hiking for a longer trial.

                          Great work Ray!

                          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                          > > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                          > weight and pack
                          > > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                          > original and
                          > > some mods over the weekend.
                          > >
                          > > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                          > downdraft stoves.
                          > > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                          > which can be
                          > > used for backpacking!
                          > >
                          > > Rick
                          >

                          > Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                          > Ray
                        • efield
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                            I have a couple of questions.

                            1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the can, the
                            more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
                            backpacking stove.

                            2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total burn time?
                            Would a taller stove
                            give longer burn times?

                            Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

                            Ed Field

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                              Ed,

                              Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
                              optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
                              still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
                              tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
                              diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

                              From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
                              time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
                              did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
                              another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
                              and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
                              quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
                              working its way down through them.

                              I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

                              BTW,

                              There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
                              to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
                              a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                              Rick

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                > There is a small chance we should think about moving this
                                > discussion to another group as it has been staying off hammock
                                > camping for quite a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                                I have a couple of things I'd like to add too, but I'd like to see us move
                                it first. Anywhere you like... Even off list if need be.

                                Might be a good time to create the 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on
                                Yahoo...

                                Shane
                              • Shane Steinkamp
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 6, 2003
                                    That was satorical right.

                                    I agree 1% we also need a list for where do you live. I'd rather
                                    have a few list with reliable informaation than a seperate list for
                                    ever topic under the sun.

                                    Coy Boy

                                    wrote:
                                    > > Might be a good time to create the
                                    > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                    > Shane
                                  • Ray Garlington
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
                                      wrote:
                                      > > Might be a good time to create the
                                      > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                      > Shane

                                      OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
                                      up some questions that were left unanswered here.

                                      =========
                                      From: "efield" <efield@c...>
                                      Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

                                      1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                                      can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
                                      diameter for a backpacking stove.

                                      quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
                                      probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
                                      controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
                                      the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

                                      I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
                                      preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
                                      be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
                                      much (black smoke).

                                      2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                                      burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

                                      heat at mid burn.

                                      ======================
                                      From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
                                      Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
                                      Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

                                      I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
                                      add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
                                      phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

                                      added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
                                      way to extend burn time as necessary.

                                      If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
                                      above group. See you there!