Measuring temperatures in a hammock

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi cold weather warriors!

      I did a little experiment last night and measured the temperature
      outside and inside my hammock and bag. Outside air temperature was
      about 35 degrees. I took measurements 3 and 5 hours after going to bed.

      This is what I found:

      I went to bed at 1015 PM. All temperatures below are degrees Fahrenheit.

      Observations at 0115 AM:

      Temperature of tree's bark: 35 (outside air temperature)

      Wind: calm

      Outside top of bag top: 47

      Outside of hammock bottom: 51

      Inside of bag top: 85

      Inside of bag bottom: 78

      Abdomen skin temperature: 94

      Buttocks skin temperature: 91

      Observations at 0315 AM:

      Temperature of tree's bark: 36

      Wind: calm

      Outside top of bag top: 44

      Outside of hammock bottom: 46

      Inside of bag top: 82

      Inside of bag bottom: 77

      Abdomen skin temperature: 90

      Buttocks skin temperature: 85

      To see the meter I used and a few more details, like what I was
      wearing, check out my new cold weather test page at:

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

      Rick
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2003
        I got to hand it to you Rick, when it comes to building stuff and
        tinkering with it you are the man. That bag was cool and the fluke
        instrumnet is ok cool too. Three boats, several variations of
        hammocks, flys, stoves plus a lot more. Where do you find the time.

        Coy Boy
        PS I could have completed a few projects with some of my computer
        time but thats beside the point.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
          Rick,

          Pretty neat! I think you are going to uncover a lot of things about
          staying warm in a hammock with your technique. You will be able to
          sort through the "which pad keeps you warmer" issue. How much are
          you charging to quantify different pads & blankets? :-) Are you able
          to make these measurements yourself or is this a two person operation?

          Youngblood

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
            Thanks Dave,

            It is really pretty simple to make the measurements. I point the device at me
            or at the sleeping bag surface and push a button. So it is easy to do this as a
            one person op - whenever I happen to wake up for a bio-break.

            I have these memories of last winter, making it through some of the cold nights,
            knowing that I did OK, but that my skin was really very cold as I took my
            morning shower.

            I hope this method can help me understand different pads, insulators, and the
            effect of wind a little better. Perhaps some of the data I collect for my own
            understanding can be of a little use to others too.

            Rick

            Quoting Dave Womble <dpwomble@...>:

            > Rick,
            >
            > Pretty neat! I think you are going to uncover a lot of things about
            > staying warm in a hammock with your technique.
            Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
              Not to be too much of a geek here, but what temperature measuring
              device are you using, brand and model number?

              ciyd

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                I'm getting a visual here. Rick pointing the Fluke at his bottom,
                the nosy neighbors spying and wondering what the heck is going on
                here.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Hi ciyd,

                  Fluke 65

                  See:

                  http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/thermometers/65.htm

                  Rick

                  Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
                • ra1@imrisk.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

                    > I'm getting a visual here. Rick pointing the Fluke at his bottom,
                    > the nosy neighbors spying and wondering what the heck is going on
                    > here.

                    Wrong visual:

                    -2AM (no neighbors)
                    -Inside sleeping bag
                    -Inside hammock
                    -Under tarp

                    Also nearest neighbors house about 500 yards away.

                    So, nothing to see, no one to see it, not even a good way to spy.

                    Sorry to burst the bubble. However, I have some friends that might be
                    interested in discussing your imagination with you... clinical friends...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                      OH my imagination is quite healthy without your Doc friends
                      examining it.

                      Coy Boy
                      PS I figgured it would be hard to take a good reading off the bottom
                      area inside the bag. I imagined you hopping out of the hammock and
                      mooning the world to get a good reading. Now I'm kinda disapionted.
                      I thought you were really going all out for these test. now I see
                      you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
                      that?

                      PS PS taking a break from some brushpile burning. I drug limbs and
                      dug at stumps several hours yesterday. I'm sore all over. Not used
                      to that much hard work LOL

                      PS PS PS tonight is the big harvest festivel at school. I got to
                      start think about getting cleaned up. Later

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Coy wrote:
                        Now I see you are doing it the easiest way possible. What kind of science is
                        that?

                        *******
                        Not science. Just data. Take it for what it is. It is limited by my lazyness,
                        lack of time, and general lack of real dedication.

                        ;)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                          Thanks. I'm gonna send this to my techs and see if we can use it in
                          our lab. I may buy one for my underquilt experiments, too.

                          ciyd

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                          > Hi ciyd,
                          >
                          > Fluke 65
                        • ciyd01
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                            Not to add to Coy's visuals, but ....

                            IR probes require a black surface to get an accurate measurement.
                            So, are you painting your butt black to get an accurate reading? Are
                            you using a sharpie marker?

                            Your surfaces should all have the same emmissivity (spelling?) to get
                            really accurate measurements. Black paint or tape works, marker is
                            acceptable. Non-shiny is preferred.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                              I just said visiual NOT stimulating visiual! LOL I'd suggest burning
                              brush. I just got through cleaning up and I was pretty much black
                              all over. OK Rick hop to it. We want reliable data.

                              Coy Boy

                            • ra1@imrisk.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                                I did not know that. Very interesting.

                                I have used the probe for a number of measurements... water temperature of the
                                pool or hot tub, body temperature (fever), temperature of air conditioning ducts
                                and heater coils.

                                It works pretty good for body temp (shine it in the mouth or under an arm pit)
                                without the black. The inside of the bag is black cloth.

                                Well, now you have given me something else to check. I guess I can tape up a
                                part of my abdomen with electrical tape and see if it seems to matter much.

                                Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                                Rick

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                                  > Is the error large or small if the object is not black?

                                  It depends. How's that for a waffling answer?

                                  If the object is shiny, it makes a big difference as the infrared and
                                  visible light all get reflected back to the probe and interfere with
                                  the measurement. The theory behind using a matte black finish is
                                  that no visible light will be reflected back to the probe. I
                                  wouldn't worry too much as the error should be on the order of a
                                  couple of degrees. For your purpose, that's probably close enough.
                                  I think the abdomen test would be a good indication of whether your
                                  skin tone will make a big difference.

                                  The Fluke site might have some application notes for you.

                                  ciyd
                                • Patrick Harper