off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2003
      I have continued messing with this and have a configuration that
      might be useful to fire enthusiasts. I will continue refining this
      design, but don't expect to uncover major improvements. As with the
      Garlington Insulator, I will put together a web page with some
      pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
      Thanks,
      Ray

      ============
      The Garlington WoodGas Stove

      After about 2 months building & testing small woodstoves of various
      configurations, I stumbled on an easy to build, lightweight stove
      (3.5 - 4 oz) that will boil 1 quart of water and hold the boil for
      about 10 minutes. The stove is batch loaded, fun to use, and nearly
      smokeless when properly fired.

      On the negative side, this stove requires a starter fluid and will
      blacken your pots. Also, the current version gets hot enough at the
      end of the burn to ignite newspaper under the burner, so the stove
      should not be used on flammable surfaces.

      The design attempts to exploit the "batch-loaded, inverted down-draft
      gassifier" wood-burning technique and manages about 1/3 - 1/2 "blue
      flame" at peak output. As the gas-burning stage winds down and while
      the stove is still quite hot, the flame is mostly blue. Typically,
      the stove is burning wood gas shortly after ignition and has a
      stable yellow/blue flame within about 1 minute. After about 10
      minutes the wood gas is depleted and the stove transitions to
      charcoal burning. Charcoal burning continues for about 20 minutes
      after this transition.

      Description
      The stove comprises a steel can, fire grate, stove windscreen, pot
      stand and pot windscreen. The steel can forms the body of the burner
      and is 3" in diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Primary air holes are punched
      at the bottom edge of the can, and secondary air slits are cut about
      3" up from the bottom. A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted to the
      bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary air to
      the bottom of the fuel supply. The stove windscreen is made of light
      aluminum (disposable baking pan) about 3 1/2" in diameter and 4 1/2"
      tall. Slots are cut in the bottom of the stove windscreen to allow
      primary/secondary air to enter. The pot stand is fashioned by
      bending a coathanger into a clip that slips onto the rim of the steel
      can and holds the pot about 1 1/4" above the rim. The pot
      windscreen is a piece of doubled aluminum foil that goes from the
      ground to at least 1/2 way up the pot.

      Operation

      Find a supply of dry sticks about the diameter of a #2 pencil and
      smaller. Dump out the ash from the previous firing, and position the
      stove windscreen and pot stand on the stove body. Break up the
      sticks into about 1" lengths and throw them into the burner. As the
      stove fills, periodically shake/tap the stove to settle the fuel.
      When you get close to the secondary air slits, use only the smallest
      of the sticks you have collected. Shake/tap down the stove once again.

      Spray a small amount of starter fluid (charcoal starter fluid,
      kerosene, alcohol, etc.) on the top surface of the wood supply. Do
      not use too much, because you only want to ignite the top layer of
      wood. (Igniting the lower layers will result in a smokey mess.)
      Light the starter fluid. After about 1 minute you should have a good
      flame going. Postion the pot on the stand and place the pot
      windscreen around the pot.

      Caution: If the stove fails to ignite, do not spray additional
      starter fluid. There will be hot embers present from your previous
      attempt which are capable of igniting the fluid as you spray it on.
      This could result in SEVERE injury to you and others. The safe thing
      to do is unload the stove, reload it, and try again.

      Copyright 2003 Ray Garlington
      =============

      Tests:

      Test 9/29/2003
      Air Temp: 55F Starting water temp: 71F

      Time Comments
      0 Light fire
      1 min Water on Stove
      5 min Water temp 130F
      10 min Boiling
      20 min Boiling
      25 min 198F
      30 186F Charcoal is generating little heat....
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > I will put together a web page with some
        > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.

        see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi Ray

          Thanks for sharing.

          I was trying to imagin where the fire grate (screen) goes. I assume
          just above the bottom primary air inlets but a quote from
          the "description section says "A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted
          to the bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary
          air to the bottom of the fuel supply." It does go up from the
          bottom about an inch, right? Also how do you attach the grate?

          I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.
          I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
          similar stoves need. I also like that it dosent need a battery.
          I'm guessing the liquid fuel pre starter serves a similar function
          in getting it going good then drafting takes over.

          What can are you using. I have a maxwell house coffe can which would
          probably work great. I might even leave it tall and use part of the
          can for pot supports. It is 4 inches across and 7 inches tall. I
          would put the primary air inlets around the bottom, the grate just
          above that, the slits for secondary air about mid way up the can and
          cut the top down about 1 inch leaving 4 prongs about half an inch
          wide for a pot support. I really like no fan or battery to worry
          with.

          Coy Boy

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
            > I was trying to imagine where the fire grate (screen) goes.

            You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of air space at the bottom of the can. I
            just used multiple layers of folded chicken wire and pushed it down
            to the very bottom of the can. You have enough space if you can look
            through one of the primary air holes and see light through the
            opposite one.

            > I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.

            Yes, it surprises me too. Also, no smoke! which is also a nice
            surprise.

            > I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
            > similar stoves need.

            If you do reload this stove as it burns down, it will smoke. It is
            probably better to size the burner to the amount of heat you will
            need rather than try to reload one that is too small.

            > What can are you using?

            I'm using a small can that vegetables came in. It is 3 inches in
            diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall.

            > I have a maxwell house coffee can which would
            > probably work great.

            This can is much bigger than the one I used. It will generate a lot
            more heat and will require more wood. Let me know how it turns out.
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
              > > I will put together a web page with some
              > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
              >
              > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm

              I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am very
              excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a simple
              gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

              Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't clear on
              that point.

              Thanks!

              Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                Yeah, I agree totally with Shane, that is some neat stuff that Ray is
                doing with his stove. For what it is worth, I came across a great
                reference on stove designs: "The Training Manual for Cookstoves" by
                the Peace Corp. It has some great info about stove designs,
                efficiencies and how they actually work. It has a well layed out
                table of contents that allows you to go to the particular subject
                that you are interested in. When I looked at it, I could see clearly
                why the "real Trangia stoves" were so efficient and also why my
                Japanese Komono grill works so well. It showed me what I had already
                discovered: the efficiency of homemade backpacking stoves is not so
                much in the burner design, but in the design of "all the things that
                make up the stove"; for the popular alcohol stoves it would include
                the bottom reflector, preheat pan, burner, stove stand, wind screen
                and the pot-- the best stove is one in which the dimensions of all
                these things are designed to work together. Anyway, if you are
                interested the Peace Corp stove manual can be found at
                http://tinyurl.com/pkju

                Like I said, it has some great info about stoves and how they work.
                And Ray, keep up the good work and don't fret about using alcohol to
                start your stove-- it is good to have for other purposes anyway, like
                as a disinfectant for your hands.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                wrote:
                > > > I will put together a web page with some
                > > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
                > >
                > > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
                >
                > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                very
                > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                simple
                > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                >
                > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                clear on
                > that point.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Shane Steinkamp
              • Ray Garlington
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                  wrote:
                  > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                  very
                  > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                  simple
                  > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

                  Shane,

                  Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                  fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                  where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                  would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                  be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).

                  > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                  clear on
                  > that point.

                  Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                  update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                  then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                  a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                  air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                  going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                  except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                  top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                  in about 5 minutes.

                  Ray
                • ra1@imrisk.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Ray,

                    Great reading on this little stove you have designed. The weekend promises some
                    time to try it out.

                    A few questions:

                    Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some suggest, instead
                    of the liquid?

                    Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                    I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from the
                    secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and to burn the
                    wood gas. Do I have this right?

                    Rick

                    Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                    > very
                    > > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                    > simple
                    > > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                    > >

                    > Shane,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                    > fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                    > where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                    > would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                    > be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).
                    >

                    > > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                    > clear on
                    > > that point.
                    >
                    > Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                    > update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                    > then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                    > a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                    > air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                    > going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                    > except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                    > top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                    > in about 5 minutes.
                    >
                    > Ray

                    Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
                  • Ray Garlington
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                      > Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some
                      suggest, instead
                      > of the liquid?

                      I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                      also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                      layed on top of the fuel charge.

                      > Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                      The more wet and the more green the wood the more difficult starting
                      is (more fluid must be used). Also, when the stove transitions to
                      charcoal burning, wet/green wood tends to smoke. So far, blowing
                      down on the coals has added enough air to hasten the transition back
                      to smokelessness.

                      > I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from
                      the
                      > secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and
                      to burn the
                      > wood gas. Do I have this right?

                      The stove windscreen acts as insulation for the comubstion chamber
                      and heats the primary/secondary air. Concerning the secondary air
                      inlets, all that happens there is that additional, slightly pre-
                      heated fresh air is drawn into the combustion chamber. If you look
                      carefully on the picture of the stove body, you will notice that the
                      bottom of the secondary-air slit has been pushed toward the center of
                      the can. This creates a small venturi that draws in more air (this
                      seems to help). On my current stove, I have cut four additional
                      secondary slits, two ridges higher & halfway in between the slits
                      shown in the picture. Don't know if they help much (or any for that
                      matter).
                    • ra1@imrisk.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Ray wrote:

                        > I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                        > also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                        > layed on top of the fuel charge.

                        Yes, I am thinking of the little strips of cardboard soaked in candle wax that
                        "NoDrip" told me about on the AT. I have been using them for fire starters ever
                        since. They are non-volatile, can't leak, and burn very well.

                        I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the weight and pack
                        footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the original and
                        some mods over the weekend.

                        I did go out and look up several of the web references to the downdraft stoves.
                        You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something which can be
                        used for backpacking!

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                          > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                          weight and pack
                          > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                          original and
                          > some mods over the weekend.
                          >
                          > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                          downdraft stoves.
                          > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                          which can be
                          > used for backpacking!
                          >
                          > Rick

                          Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                          Ray
                        • Risk
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                            Three stoves into this project, I have learned a few things already.

                            - the stove works
                            - I have been able to get it to work with paraffin soaked cardboard,
                            but not with much weight savings over the half teaspoon of lamp oil or
                            coleman fuel it takes to get started.
                            - One nice thing about the stove is that it can be started with just
                            about any fuel. This is a plus for finding a source of fuel anywhere.
                            - I tried a version with windows cut in the top 3/4 inch of the can.
                            It is not tall enough to create enough draft. It did not work
                            - I tried a very light version made from sheet brass and aluminum.
                            This works pretty well and fits inside my small pot. However it is
                            more fragile and not quite as stable. It also must be used where metal
                            sticks can be inserted in the ground. I will post some pics of this
                            when I have the weights available.
                            - I replaced your bottom screen with a piece of hardware cloth. It
                            sits on four tabs that are bent up instead of down. I cut the
                            openings for the cuts with a dremmel drill.
                            - I am getting boiling times a little shorter than yours. It takes
                            about 5-6 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, and the water boils for
                            about 8-10 minutes. It does stay hot for many more minutes, because
                            of the charcoal heat.
                            - I had trouble with the pot stand sticking to the pot. I came up
                            with a lighter-weight alternative with less contact area.
                            - I can already see that I would be willing to take this little stove
                            hiking for a longer trial.

                            Great work Ray!

                            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                            > > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                            > weight and pack
                            > > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                            > original and
                            > > some mods over the weekend.
                            > >
                            > > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                            > downdraft stoves.
                            > > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                            > which can be
                            > > used for backpacking!
                            > >
                            > > Rick
                            >

                            > Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                            > Ray
                          • efield
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                              I have a couple of questions.

                              1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the can, the
                              more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
                              backpacking stove.

                              2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total burn time?
                              Would a taller stove
                              give longer burn times?

                              Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

                              Ed Field

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                Ed,

                                Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
                                optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
                                still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
                                tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
                                diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

                                From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
                                time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
                                did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
                                another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
                                and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
                                quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
                                working its way down through them.

                                I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

                                BTW,

                                There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
                                to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
                                a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                                Rick

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                  > There is a small chance we should think about moving this
                                  > discussion to another group as it has been staying off hammock
                                  > camping for quite a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                                  I have a couple of things I'd like to add too, but I'd like to see us move
                                  it first. Anywhere you like... Even off list if need be.

                                  Might be a good time to create the 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on
                                  Yahoo...

                                  Shane
                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 6, 2003
                                      That was satorical right.

                                      I agree 1% we also need a list for where do you live. I'd rather
                                      have a few list with reliable informaation than a seperate list for
                                      ever topic under the sun.

                                      Coy Boy

                                      wrote:
                                      > > Might be a good time to create the
                                      > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                      > Shane
                                    • Ray Garlington
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
                                        wrote:
                                        > > Might be a good time to create the
                                        > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                        > Shane

                                        OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
                                        up some questions that were left unanswered here.

                                        =========
                                        From: "efield" <efield@c...>
                                        Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

                                        1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                                        can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
                                        diameter for a backpacking stove.

                                        quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
                                        probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
                                        controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
                                        the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

                                        I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
                                        preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
                                        be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
                                        much (black smoke).

                                        2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                                        burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

                                        heat at mid burn.

                                        ======================
                                        From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
                                        Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
                                        Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

                                        I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
                                        add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
                                        phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

                                        added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
                                        way to extend burn time as necessary.

                                        If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
                                        above group. See you there!