RE: Hammock Camping Silnylon question and Hammock report

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
      Message
      Jim, the usual 1.1 oz/yd2 silnylon ripstop is much too fragile to survive 70MPH winds with normal attachment points, such as snaps, or sewed pull tabs--the fabric will tear at the stress point, especially where it is sewed or a grommett or snap is installed.  If you could support the fabric evenly along each full edge, it might work--as in a vise like gripping system where the fabric is rolled around a rod and is stressed evenly and fully along each edge.  The fabric is windproof, even at 70 MPH winds, but it's a challenge to secure it properly.  Using overhand knots as anchor points, like we do in Speer Hammocks, might work--is there any way to do this?

      Glad to hear about the Sturgis trip...Ed

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
        The silnylon may not be waterproof at 70mph.

        The 1.9 oz might be more durable, but I'm not sure it would survive
        70 mph either.

        ciyd

        > Jim, the usual 1.1 oz/yd2 silnylon ripstop is much too fragile to
        survive
        > 70MPH winds with normal attachment points, such as snaps, or sewed
        pull
        > tabs--the fabric will tear at the stress point, especially where it
        is sewed
        > or a grommett or snap is installed.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
          Hi, If this is attached to your Bike, why don't you
          think about using "Spectra" ?? Bill

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
            Or waterproof oxford cloth or cordura. Now that's good stuff!

            Rick

            Quoting Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>:

            > Hi, If this is attached to your Bike, why don't you
            > think about using "Spectra" ?? Bill

            Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
          • Jim Rubino
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
              I wanted to thank everyone for the answers on the material. I will skip the
              Silnylon, since it seems to be too fragile, and while Spectra seems great, I
              think it may be a bit cost prohibitive and it is special order only. I think
              I will try the waterproof oxford cloth or cordura. As my testing continues
              through the winter (well when I find something that works) I will let
              everyone know. I basically want something that packs down fairly well so
              that I can keep in in my saddlebags. But since this will be more punishment
              than most hammocks will have to withstand, it may be useful information for
              anyone looking for a "bombproof" hammock and/or tarp.

              Thanks again for the help.