Silnylon question and Hammock report

  • Jim Rubino
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hey all, first a question that doesn't exactly deal with hammocks.
      How durable is silnylon? As a biker/tree-hanger I was thinking that this
      material might be perfect to cover the front crash bars on my motorcycle.
      But will it be durable enough to handle 70+ mph winds for extended
      durations? Will it stop the wind at this speed? If I install snaps will that
      tear the fabric? Or is there a better way to attach it around a bar
      temporarily? (I am asking here because y'all seem to be the most
      knowledgeable people I know on this subject) oh and to sort of relate it to
      hammock camping, I take my hammock when traveling on my bike. That leads me
      to the second part...

      Sportsman's guide hammock review:
      Before my 2 week trip to Sturgis, SD for a motorcycle rally, I asked a few
      questions about hanging a hammock with only one anchor point. I am glad to
      and had no problem, the other 3 nights we spent indoors for various reasons.
      My camping rig consisted of the following:
      1 Sportsman's guide blue hammock
      1 5 x 8 typical blue tarp with grommets
      1 blue waffle type sleeping pad
      1 VERY light weight sleeping bag
      4 tent stakes
      String

      Luckily bugs were never an issue so I never wished I had any bug-net type
      stuff. As for the actual use of the hammock, it worked out fair to good. (in
      hammock terms, but much better than a tent) the hammock itself is priced
      fairly, it is not a great hammock but it did it's job. I did have one of the
      support strings in the "fan" part of the strings break. I didn't notice any
      ill effects from this other than me being a bit nervous the first time
      getting in after this. The tarp was a bit noisy, but nothing compared to
      tons of motorcycles driving all along the campground all night, so it didn't
      bother me. In the woods it would probably drive me crazy. I did make quite a
      few bikers re-think their sleeping arrangements, I would wake up after a
      long day of riding, and a long night of playing without a sore bone in my
      body. Not many ground dwellers could claim the same. I did cheat a little
      and have a small kid's tent as a backup but it proved worth it's space by
      becoming my storage/changing room. So the short story is that I would like
      to thank y'all for the help and giving me the confidence to take the
      hammock. It worked great.
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
        Message
        Jim, the usual 1.1 oz/yd2 silnylon ripstop is much too fragile to survive 70MPH winds with normal attachment points, such as snaps, or sewed pull tabs--the fabric will tear at the stress point, especially where it is sewed or a grommett or snap is installed.  If you could support the fabric evenly along each full edge, it might work--as in a vise like gripping system where the fabric is rolled around a rod and is stressed evenly and fully along each edge.  The fabric is windproof, even at 70 MPH winds, but it's a challenge to secure it properly.  Using overhand knots as anchor points, like we do in Speer Hammocks, might work--is there any way to do this?

        Glad to hear about the Sturgis trip...Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
          The silnylon may not be waterproof at 70mph.

          The 1.9 oz might be more durable, but I'm not sure it would survive
          70 mph either.

          ciyd

          > Jim, the usual 1.1 oz/yd2 silnylon ripstop is much too fragile to
          survive
          > 70MPH winds with normal attachment points, such as snaps, or sewed
          pull
          > tabs--the fabric will tear at the stress point, especially where it
          is sewed
          > or a grommett or snap is installed.
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
            Hi, If this is attached to your Bike, why don't you
            think about using "Spectra" ?? Bill

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
              Or waterproof oxford cloth or cordura. Now that's good stuff!

              Rick

              Quoting Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>:

              > Hi, If this is attached to your Bike, why don't you
              > think about using "Spectra" ?? Bill

              Get your own personalized domain name with hosting included for just $35 @ http://www.catalog.com!
            • Jim Rubino
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
                I wanted to thank everyone for the answers on the material. I will skip the
                Silnylon, since it seems to be too fragile, and while Spectra seems great, I
                think it may be a bit cost prohibitive and it is special order only. I think
                I will try the waterproof oxford cloth or cordura. As my testing continues
                through the winter (well when I find something that works) I will let
                everyone know. I basically want something that packs down fairly well so
                that I can keep in in my saddlebags. But since this will be more punishment
                than most hammocks will have to withstand, it may be useful information for
                anyone looking for a "bombproof" hammock and/or tarp.

                Thanks again for the help.