beach hammocking

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
      I just uploaded 3 pictures under the folder ciyd. I hammocked on the
      Washington coast this weekend. The trees I tied my hammock were
      dead, but they had already fallen down. From the looks of them, a
      big storm washed away enough of the soil from under them last winter
      and they collapsed on the beach. They were tremendously solid, not
      termite ridden or diseased, so I felt comfy using them. Both trees
      were much too large for tree huggers alone, so I broke out the 10'
      tubular webbing and some carabiners and was set. One of the photos
      shows the webbing extensions.

      The weather Saturday was gorgeous. I skipped the camp fire and just
      sat under the stars. With no moon, all the stars were very visible.
      The Milky Way stretched out to the horizon. The occasional shooting
      star passed by. Even some of the breakers phosphoresced and provided
      an eery glow from the depths. I hit the sack with the rain fly
      tossed to one side so I could enjoy the stars and drifted right off.

      I woke up about 1:30 to a very strange sound. I listened carefully,
      but it didn't sound like an animal and then I noticed the tap tap tap
      of precipitation hitting the rainfly. Put my hand on the outside of
      the sleeping bag and, sure enough, it was pretty damp. Fog had
      rolled in and was so thick it was raining. Got out, tied the rainfly
      into place, took care of nature's call, and got back in to the
      hammock. Woke at 7 am, but it was still really foggy, so I rolled
      over and slept in until after 8. Low tide was 8:30 so I climbed out
      of bed, grabbed the camera and headed for the tide pools. Got some
      amazing shots of star fish, in at least 4 different colors, and sea
      anemones. Pictures of fog on the sea stacks. It was great.

      Hung around enjoying the morning and hoping the fog would burn off.
      It didn't. Headed back to the car at 1:30. A great overnight.

      Down sides to beach camping: salt spray and wet sand. EVERYTHING
      has to be washed or wiped down.

      I had problems getting underquilt proto #2 done in time, I had to rip
      out some stitching etc, so Proto #1 made the trip eagain with a
      couple of modifications. I posted a picture of it on the hammock so
      you can get an idea of what approach I'm taking. I may have sold
      proto #2 to a chap who doesn't want to learn to sew, so not all was
      lost. I've got some new ideas for proto #3 which should make it even
      better.

      All in all, I had a great weekend and was really glad I brought the
      synthetic sleeping bag and not the down bag. Too warm and too wet.

      ciyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
        Message
        Makes me want to head for the beach, Ciyd!  In '89, I paddled the entire inside passage from Vancouver, BC to Glacier Bay, AK!  Used my hammock many times on the log-strewed shore!  Next week Karen and I head for the Maine coast and then back down to the NH mountains.  Should get in some cold-weather hammocking!  ...Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
          Ah - enjoy the fall colors in Maine and NH! Looks like things are
          already starting to peak there and in the Adirondack High Peaks.

          I'm heading out in that general direction myself this weekend: going
          to hike as much of the Northville-Placid trail as I can cover in a
          week (southbound from Lake Placid). This should be a good cold weather
          Hammock test also (Hennessy plus doubled Target pads and a solid
          Marmot down bag).

          Let's compare notes when we all get back...

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
            Message
            The leaves down here in the NC mountains have just begun to change--no real color yet.  In fact some trees seem to be be dropping leaves without turning color--may have been too wet this summer.  Glad to hear Fall color has already begun in New England....Ed