October Issue of Hammock CAmping News

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
      I just posted the October issue of the free Hammock Camping News e-
      zine newsletter! See it at:
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm
      or sign up to receive each free monthly issue at:
      or to sign up via email, send a blank email to:
      Hammock_Camping_News-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      This month's feature article is: How to Waterproof Silnylon Fabrics
      There is also a trip report from out Hammock Hangers campout earlier
      this month. As usual, the many links to other informative web sites
      has been updated and expanded.

      Happy Hammocking Y'all! ...Ed
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
        Great info on maintaining silnylon. Thanks Ed!

        ciyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
          Ed, just read with interest your article on "How To Waterproof
          Silnylon Fabrics". You talked about two silicone aerosol treatments
          on both sides of an 8' X 5' piece of 1.9 oz/yd^2 ripstop nylon to
          help ensure water-proofness. From talking to you previously and
          having read your book, I believe you are referring to your technique
          for "winterizing" the fabric used on the hammock body. Could this
          technique be used on 1.1 oz/yd^2 ripstop nylon to make a "silnylon"
          tarp... say for someone who found that material in the WalMart $1 Bin?

          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
            Message
            Yes Dave, you can make a silnylon tarp by treating fabrics your self--just be sure and soak the fabric well.  I've made similar tarps and pack rain covers that've worked well.  I once made a waterproof tarp by soaking 1.1 ripstop with Thompson's Water Seal!  It worked, but made the fabric stiff so it was noisy in the wind and creased when stuffed into a sack--but it still worked!

            Dave are you going to the Southeast Trail Initiative symposium in TN in late Oct?  I remember you were earlier preparing to do the 'light-weight hiking' discussion.  In fact, you put me on to the whole thing in the first place.  I'll be there giving a workshop on hammocks...Ed