RE: Hammock Camping Re: Staying warm in a hammock

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

      I was also thinking about making a fleece topped hammock.  Could be very cozy

    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
        The other reason to not sew the down into the hammock is to allow
        the versitility of one hammock for different seasons using
        the "layering" technique we are used to in planning our clothing.

        Unless you plan on having one hammock for cold, and another for
        warm. Just be sure you don't get caught in the wrong wether with
        the wrong hammock ;)

        The idea of a double bottom, GI or underquilt allows for extended
        versitility around a core piece of equipment, the hammock.

        Having said that, someone ought to try it and prove me wrong/right
        so we avoid speculation, right? You know what happens when we
        ass/u/me things...

        Just my $0.02, YMMV.

        Shane "Mirage"...

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier"

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
          Message

          Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter, but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

            I lay most things but here I’m thinking more like a sleeping bag.  You don’t take the winter bag in summer time.  Take enough gear for any condition you may encounter.  Many people have a summer bag and a winter bag.  I’m thinking a three season sleeping system and a winter system.  It would mean two hammocks but if what I’m thinking about works then I should be able to build a very light winter sleep system.

            I think the layering is still important and all.  I was able to stay warm in the high 30’s in my spear type hammock a few weekends ago in the high sierras  So I’m comfortable with my “3 season” hammock.  Instead of adding a blanket or piling stuff in and under my hammock I’m thinking about just building another hammock.

            The baffles are the one piece that I’m still working on.  In my home it’s not cold enough to even play with a cold weather hammock right now so I have to wait.  I may build a prototype from heavy material with some down from an old blanket.  I have no idea what the fill is on the down or anything.  Won’t matter in that respect.  If it doesn’t work I can rip the seams and try again until I get something I like.

            Anyway I’ll let you all know how it goes as soon as I make the sucker.  In fact the mountains are starting to get cold so I may build this guy in the next few weeks.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
              I can't wait to see the new newsletter!
              Rick

              Ed Speer wrote:

              > Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter,
              > but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your
              > new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed
              > ** <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News>
              > **

            • J Cornelius
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

                I really wish you wouldn't leave yourself open like that!!

                Jodi who is trying to remember that this is NOT kampfire

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003

                  Hehehe,

                  Layer  I meant layer.

                  Really I swear I meant Layer

                  Tom (Who is grinning and laughing at his typo)