RE: Hammock Camping Re: Staying warm in a hammock

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

      I was also thinking about making a fleece topped hammock.  Could be very cozy

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
        Hi Ed,

        Did you correct the links to Ray's Garlington Insulator in your links?
        I know you took on the hosting of his pages, but in September, the links
        still pointed to Mindspring. I have been doing a bit of work on the
        HammockWiki, with fresh material. That is one of the reasons I wanted
        to take some pictures of your 4 wrap knot.

        Rick

        Ed Speer wrote:

        > Thanks Rick, well done! It's just one of the many things I haven't
        > gotten around to yet. Links to both your knot pages are already in
        > the Oct newsletter--due later tonight! ...Ed
        > ** <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News>
        > **

      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
          The other reason to not sew the down into the hammock is to allow
          the versitility of one hammock for different seasons using
          the "layering" technique we are used to in planning our clothing.

          Unless you plan on having one hammock for cold, and another for
          warm. Just be sure you don't get caught in the wrong wether with
          the wrong hammock ;)

          The idea of a double bottom, GI or underquilt allows for extended
          versitility around a core piece of equipment, the hammock.

          Having said that, someone ought to try it and prove me wrong/right
          so we avoid speculation, right? You know what happens when we
          ass/u/me things...

          Just my $0.02, YMMV.

          Shane "Mirage"...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier"

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
            Message

            Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter, but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

              I lay most things but here I’m thinking more like a sleeping bag.  You don’t take the winter bag in summer time.  Take enough gear for any condition you may encounter.  Many people have a summer bag and a winter bag.  I’m thinking a three season sleeping system and a winter system.  It would mean two hammocks but if what I’m thinking about works then I should be able to build a very light winter sleep system.

              I think the layering is still important and all.  I was able to stay warm in the high 30’s in my spear type hammock a few weekends ago in the high sierras  So I’m comfortable with my “3 season” hammock.  Instead of adding a blanket or piling stuff in and under my hammock I’m thinking about just building another hammock.

              The baffles are the one piece that I’m still working on.  In my home it’s not cold enough to even play with a cold weather hammock right now so I have to wait.  I may build a prototype from heavy material with some down from an old blanket.  I have no idea what the fill is on the down or anything.  Won’t matter in that respect.  If it doesn’t work I can rip the seams and try again until I get something I like.

              Anyway I’ll let you all know how it goes as soon as I make the sucker.  In fact the mountains are starting to get cold so I may build this guy in the next few weeks.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                I can't wait to see the new newsletter!
                Rick

                Ed Speer wrote:

                > Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter,
                > but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your
                > new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed
                > ** <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News>
                > **

              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

                  I really wish you wouldn't leave yourself open like that!!

                  Jodi who is trying to remember that this is NOT kampfire

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003

                    Hehehe,

                    Layer  I meant layer.

                    Really I swear I meant Layer

                    Tom (Who is grinning and laughing at his typo)