Speer Four Wrap Knot

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
      Speeking of tying the hammock at the right tightness, using a good
      knot for this purpose is important.

      There are on-line references for the Hennessey knot on several pages.
      Shane has a great movie about how to tie it among others.

      However, I know of no on-line reference to the Speer "four wrap" knot
      described in Ed's book.

      Since I refer to Ed's Knot frequently, I did a few pictures of the
      four wrap until someone does something better.

      See:

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/speerknot.htm

      Yall have a nice day now!

      Risk
    • Thomas Peltier
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

        All this talk about under-blankets and cones and double layered hammocks and I’m thinking why not just stuff the down in between the two layers of the hammock and sew it shut.  You may have to add some baffles so the stuff stays in place.  Seems to me a down filled hammock might just be warm.  Add a top blanket and you have a suspended sleeping bag; well not quit but you get the meaning.  IF the top layer was breathable and the bottom was water/wind “proof” then you could still dry the down as needed and protect from outside elements.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
          Message
          Thanks Rick, well done!  It's just one of the many things I haven't gotten around to yet.  Links to both your knot pages are already in the Oct newsletter--due later tonight!  ...Ed

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
            Hi Thomas,

            Yes, that works... as long as the bottom layer holding the down is
            not tight; i.e. not holding up any weight. It would not work in the
            double bottom hammocks I have been experimenting with because my
            weight is partially held by both layers.

            Rick

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Peltier" <Thomas@G...>
            wrote:
            > All this talk about under-blankets and cones and double layered
            hammocks and
            > I'm thinking why not just stuff the down in between the two layers
            of the
            > hammock and sew it shut. You may have to add some baffles so the stuff
            > stays in place. Seems to me a down filled hammock might just be
            warm. Add
            > a top blanket and you have a suspended sleeping bag; well not quit
            but you
            > get the meaning. IF the top layer was breathable and the bottom was
            > water/wind "proof" then you could still dry the down as needed and
            protect
            > from outside elements.
          • Thomas Peltier
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

              I was thinking about giving it a few inches of extra material across and twice that down the length.  Maybe 3 Or 4 wide and as much as 8 or 10 inches in the length.

              What I’ve been toying with the most in my Psycho-type (that’s the in the head version)  how best to do baffles.  I don’t want to sew to the top layer so I’m thinking about tubs that lay over.

            • Thomas Peltier
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

                I was also thinking about making a fleece topped hammock.  Could be very cozy

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                  Hi Ed,

                  Did you correct the links to Ray's Garlington Insulator in your links?
                  I know you took on the hosting of his pages, but in September, the links
                  still pointed to Mindspring. I have been doing a bit of work on the
                  HammockWiki, with fresh material. That is one of the reasons I wanted
                  to take some pictures of your 4 wrap knot.

                  Rick

                  Ed Speer wrote:

                  > Thanks Rick, well done! It's just one of the many things I haven't
                  > gotten around to yet. Links to both your knot pages are already in
                  > the Oct newsletter--due later tonight! ...Ed
                  > ** <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News>
                  > **

                • Mirage
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                    The other reason to not sew the down into the hammock is to allow
                    the versitility of one hammock for different seasons using
                    the "layering" technique we are used to in planning our clothing.

                    Unless you plan on having one hammock for cold, and another for
                    warm. Just be sure you don't get caught in the wrong wether with
                    the wrong hammock ;)

                    The idea of a double bottom, GI or underquilt allows for extended
                    versitility around a core piece of equipment, the hammock.

                    Having said that, someone ought to try it and prove me wrong/right
                    so we avoid speculation, right? You know what happens when we
                    ass/u/me things...

                    Just my $0.02, YMMV.

                    Shane "Mirage"...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                      Message

                      Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter, but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

                        I lay most things but here I’m thinking more like a sleeping bag.  You don’t take the winter bag in summer time.  Take enough gear for any condition you may encounter.  Many people have a summer bag and a winter bag.  I’m thinking a three season sleeping system and a winter system.  It would mean two hammocks but if what I’m thinking about works then I should be able to build a very light winter sleep system.

                        I think the layering is still important and all.  I was able to stay warm in the high 30’s in my spear type hammock a few weekends ago in the high sierras  So I’m comfortable with my “3 season” hammock.  Instead of adding a blanket or piling stuff in and under my hammock I’m thinking about just building another hammock.

                        The baffles are the one piece that I’m still working on.  In my home it’s not cold enough to even play with a cold weather hammock right now so I have to wait.  I may build a prototype from heavy material with some down from an old blanket.  I have no idea what the fill is on the down or anything.  Won’t matter in that respect.  If it doesn’t work I can rip the seams and try again until I get something I like.

                        Anyway I’ll let you all know how it goes as soon as I make the sucker.  In fact the mountains are starting to get cold so I may build this guy in the next few weeks.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                          I can't wait to see the new newsletter!
                          Rick

                          Ed Speer wrote:

                          > Yeah Rick, there are numerous links to Ray's pages in the newsletter,
                          > but I think I found and corrected them all. I've also checked all your
                          > new links to make sure they work. Thanks again for the updates...Ed
                          > ** <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News>
                          > **

                        • J Cornelius
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003

                            I really wish you wouldn't leave yourself open like that!!

                            Jodi who is trying to remember that this is NOT kampfire

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003

                              Hehehe,

                              Layer  I meant layer.

                              Really I swear I meant Layer

                              Tom (Who is grinning and laughing at his typo)