Re Bag of Feathers

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2003
      Hi Ray,

      Great looking project. I just finished a quilt made from the Hungry
      Huey's Quilt kit from Thru-Hiker. A couple things I learned that
      might be useful in the future:

      - A great way to move the feathers:

      I dumped an ounce (That is about a square foot) of feathers in an
      18x18x18 inch box at a time. I took a cardboard tube from a roll of
      paper towels and taped some noseeum cloth over one end with some duct
      tape. I got my vacuum cleaner out and held the tube so the bug net
      was against the end of the vacuum cleaner hose. With the vacuum on, I
      was able to use my other (right) hand to stuff feathers into the open
      end of the tube. After a few feathers get against the noseeum, there
      is not a lot of suction, but enough to make it much easier to get the
      down off the hand.
      After the tube was about half full, I turned the vacuum off and took
      the tube to the bag I was filling. I turned the tube around so the
      bug net was toward me. I put my mouth up to the tube and blew the
      feathers into the quilt. (I wrapped a little of the cloth of the
      quilt around the end of the paper tube and held it with my hand.)

      After trying two other ways to move feathers, this way ended up much
      faster. I believe it would also work for moving the feathers from an
      old sleeping bag into another.

      - The quilt project has baffles sewn into it. These baffles might
      help your bag of feathers to be more evenly distributed in a further
      version. For details on how to sew the baffles see step four here:

      http://www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

      - Finally, you may want to consider another cloth like 1.1 oz DWR
      ripstop. It is likely water repellent enough for the underquilt
      purpose, packs better, and MOST important: When the down gets wet,
      the down can be dried through the cloth.

      I look forward to our correspondence this winter on warmth projects.
      Have fun.

      Rick