hammocking on the beach!

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
      I'll be hammocking on the beach this weekend. I've been wanting to
      do this very short hike and camp on the Washington Coast and, since
      my hiking partners who hate beach hiking cancelled on me this
      weekend, I'm going to the beach. Weather is supposed to be 70-80F
      with lows around 50, clear skies. Wonderful, basically. So, I'll be
      picking up the bear (racoon, actually) canister tonight, finishing up
      Rev. 2 of the underquilt tonight, and heading out early tomorrow
      morning.

      If I get some good "action shots" I'll post them to the recently
      cleaned up (thanks Karen) photos section.

      I'm going to have to get some more backpacking partners. Since I've
      been bitten by the lightweight backpacking bug, I've been going out
      every other week and most of my friends care too much about how their
      yards look to accompany me that often.

      ciyd
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
        ciyd,

        That's one nice thing about the PNW, the trees come right up to the
        beach/bluffs, making for awesome sunset views as you lay in the
        hammock drifting off to sleep or watching the campfire.

        Beach hanging on the east cost is a bit more challenging since it's
        so much flatter.

        Have you seen Shane Steinkamp's long-term report/review of his HH
        (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
        20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/)

        It has a few shots of pitching you HH (maybe other styles would work
        this way too) right on the beach sand. Pretty cool ideas!

        Anyway, I've got young kids who aren't quite ready to do some of the
        hiking I like so I don't get out as often as I wish. I live up here
        in the PNW too, and have a new hiking buddy that's got me hooked on
        the Ultralight backpacking too, so maybe once in a while we can hook
        up for a good hike in the northern cascades or olympics.

        Hey, maybe we should start planning a PNW Hammock Hangers Campout
        for sometime in 2004?

        Hows the underquilt project working? I'm on the third generation of
        mine, but already have plans for a fourth. I've still gotta get
        pics posted and a review of ot from my South Sisters hike. Wind
        became the major problem for me.

        Shane "Mirage"...

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
        > I'll be hammocking on the beach this weekend. I've been wanting
        > do this very short hike and camp on the Washington Coast and,
        since
        > my hiking partners who hate beach hiking cancelled on me this
        > weekend, I'm going to the beach. Weather is supposed to be 70-80F
        > with lows around 50, clear skies. Wonderful, basically. So, I'll
        be
        > picking up the bear (racoon, actually) canister tonight, finishing
        up
        > Rev. 2 of the underquilt tonight, and heading out early tomorrow
        > morning.
        >
        > If I get some good "action shots" I'll post them to the recently
        > cleaned up (thanks Karen) photos section.
        >
        > I'm going to have to get some more backpacking partners. Since
        I've
        > been bitten by the lightweight backpacking bug, I've been going
        out
        > every other week and most of my friends care too much about how
        their
        > yards look to accompany me that often.
        >
        > ciyd
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
          Which hike are you doing? (north of Yellow Banks is still reservation only
          till the end of the month)

          At 05:54 PM 9/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:

          >I'll be hammocking on the beach this weekend. I've been wanting to
          >do this very short hike and camp on the Washington Coast and, since
          >my hiking partners who hate beach hiking cancelled on me this
          >weekend, I'm going to the beach. Weather is supposed to be 70-80F
          >with lows around 50, clear skies. Wonderful, basically. So, I'll be
          >picking up the bear (racoon, actually) canister tonight, finishing up
          >Rev. 2 of the underquilt tonight, and heading out early tomorrow
          >morning.
          >
          >If I get some good "action shots" I'll post them to the recently
          >cleaned up (thanks Karen) photos section.
          >
          >I'm going to have to get some more backpacking partners. Since I've
          >been bitten by the lightweight backpacking bug, I've been going out
          >every other week and most of my friends care too much about how their
          >yards look to accompany me that often.
          >
          >ciyd

          >---
          >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          David Anderson
          Moderator
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
            > That's one nice thing about the PNW, the trees come right up to the
            > beach/bluffs, making for awesome sunset views as you lay in the
            > hammock drifting off to sleep or watching the campfire.

            That's one of the things I'm really looking forward to. Beach
            camping on the west coast means that you miss those early wake up
            calls, er, sunrises :-)

            > Have you seen Shane Steinkamp's long-term report/review of his HH

            I've been All over Shane Steinkamp's website (and Sgt. Rock's, too)
            and read the reviews. They've both been really helpful in helping me
            decide on hammocks instead of tarps and showing a lot of the basics
            of making hammmocking even more pleasant!

            >I live up here in the PNW too, and have a new hiking buddy that's
            got me hooked on
            > the Ultralight backpacking too, so maybe once in a while we can
            hook
            > up for a good hike in the northern cascades or olympics.

            We'll have to do that.

            > Hey, maybe we should start planning a PNW Hammock Hangers Campout
            > for sometime in 2004?

            I would like a NW hammock hangers weekend so that I could pick the
            brains of some other hammockers on details and perfecting my hammock
            pitching. There are plenty of places to hang hammocks up here.
            Anybody have a set of dates they would prefer? Between the SE and NW
            groups, eventually word will spread through the land and meet in the
            middle although I don't see much of a market for things that hang
            from trees in Kansas and Nebraska. :-)

            > Hows the underquilt project working?

            The 2nd prototype is coming along. I was going to try down filling,
            but the baffles are a pain in the arse, so I'm going with quilt
            batting again. It's not terribly compressible but was surprisingly
            warm. The materials for the real version, EPIC and primaloft, should
            be at my door early next week and I plan on taking what I've learned
            and making a near final version. I found a guy who wanted to buy an
            underquilt from someone, so I offerred to make one for him. Price
            TBD. For those thinking of making one, they are a lot of work to do,
            at least for the Hennesseys, but I think I've got the slit and
            mounting worked out. Rev 2 uses camo PU coated ripstop nylon so that
            I can see if condensation will be much of a problem, more cheap silky
            nylon from JoAnn's, and quilt batting. Total material cost was under
            $20. I'll be using a lot less shock cord in this one, so I expect it
            will stay put a little better. I also extended the finished length
            to 78" so that I can loan it out to taller friends and see if it
            works for them. Oddly enough, being only 60" tall, I have determined
            that a 68" length is the minimum I can get away with. I'm hoping the
            78" will work for my 6'1" tall friend. We'll see. Rev 1, with the
            very thin windshield reflector, kept my butt warm down to 35F. At
            least as warm as my 35F sleeping bag, with a NeatSheet as a top sheet
            only, did. The coated nylon should help with wind protection but I
            will have to keep close eye on wind getting in around the gaps. I
            may have to sew a couple of small loops on the long edges of the
            hammock to provide extra mounting for the underquilt. I'm hoping to
            post pictures of Rev 1 and Rev 2 after this weekend. I didn't post
            before because of the lack of file space. I do want to see what
            you've been developing.

            Ah, a couple more hours of toil and then off to finish preparing a
            packing for what is destined to be the last glorious weekend of the
            season!

            ciyd
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
              Third Beach down to Strawberry Point. A total of about 6 miles.
              Just stop at the Forks or Port Angeles WIC and get your backcountry
              permits (and a bear canister for about $3). No reservations required
              for small groups.

              Sea stacks and tide pools, here I come!

              ciyd

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson
              <danderson@b...> wrote:
              > Which hike are you doing? (north of Yellow Banks is still
              reservation only
              > till the end of the month)
            • David Anderson
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
                Have fun. The eagles might not be too heavy out there with the salmon
                running, but there should still be a few. We've been seeing a lot more
                otter out there in the last year, and lots of babies in the spring. Hope
                you get some entertainment. Ya know, the way they sleep in the kelp is sort
                of like being in a water hammock.

                No need to rent the bear can, I have my own. On the coast you can also use
                a bucket with a lid, but you have to hang it because of the occasional
                bear. Last Thanksgiving we saw both bear and cougar tracks on the beach
                heading out to the tidepools. Quite cool.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 2003
                  But I've heard that there is the potential to see the Northern Lights
                  from Washington. If so, that would make my year.

                  I've actually seen eagles flying in flocks in Northern Illinois. It
                  was 2 or 3 years ago and the upper midwest had an unusually cold
                  December with lots of below zero days. This resulted in the river
                  freezing over North of Lock and Dam 15 (the Quad Cities). So, all
                  the eagles were forced south to L&D 15 to fish. The Rock river dumps
                  into the Mississippi there and the eagles were fishing below the dams
                  in both rivers. As you drove across the bridges, you could count
                  over a dozen golden and bald eagles sitting in the trees. One
                  afternoon I happened to glance up and saw a flock of about 20 eagles
                  flying from the Rock to the Mississippi. Since they don't normally
                  congregate in those numbers, it was quit a sight!

                  Little things make me happy.