Tree De-Bending Technique

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
      OK, Dave you asked about my tree de-bending technique, so I've
      started a new thread. I assume you're referring to the use of a
      small tree, limb or large bush stem to tie the hammock to when more
      suitably spaced supports are not available. But these weak supports
      can bend excessively when the hammock is occupied and the rain canopy
      may no longer be pitched tight or the hammock itself may hit the
      ground. Of course, we're careful not to harm weak support trees or
      brush, but help is available.

      It's often easy to reinforce an otherwise weak support by adding one
      or more anchor lines from the weak support to a stronger support like
      a larger tree, the well-anchored base of another small tree, a
      suitable tree root, a large rock, etc. You can even drive sturdy
      stakes into the ground to tie the anchor line/s to (locating anchor
      stakes behind sturdy tree roots or rocks can increase their holding
      power). In these cases, the small support tree or brush is prevented
      from bending under the weight of the occupied hammock; however, the
      support still has to be strong enough to take the vertical stress of
      holding up the hammock. Of course, one needs suitable support lines,
      like rope or webbing.

      Occassionally, I've been able to use the main webbing strap on my
      hammock, tying it first to the small support, then having enough left
      to now tie off again to a larger tree nearby. Here in the southern
      Appalachians, I often use Rhododendren limbs as supports; while the
      biger ones are strong enough, they are usually bent over already and
      have little to no side strenght. Anchoring them to another support,
      such as the base or limb of another Rhododendren, can work well. I
      once wanted to tie off to such a limb, but it had to be supported w/
      one anchor line to the ground (base of another bush) and one anchor
      line to a large tree limb above to hold the limb in place!

      Dave, is this what you were referring to? Does anyone else have any
      similar techniques? ...Ed
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
        Ed, that was it. I thought everyone else would appreciate knowing
        they had that option, especially when using the sidecar technique.

        Thanks,
        Dave