RE: Hammock Camping My rig - long

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 10, 2003
      Jason:

      I have a picture, but don't know how to post it. If anyone
      can tell me, I'd be glad to try.

      The netting usually makes it all the way to the ground.
      Being 12 feet long it hangs 6 feet on either side of the
      ridgeline. BUT you don't have to worry about getting bit on
      the back. The hammock fabric is tightly enough woven that
      they can't get through it.

      So the additional length is just to make the netting drape
      right. It helps keep it pressed against the side of the
      hammock.

      I've often thought a shorter piece would be better -- keep
      it off the ground and all. I don't know what the perfect
      length would be, but I've tried a 9 x 9 foot square, and it
      seems a little too short.

      I've also tried sewing various parts closed, adding edging,
      etc. but none of it seems worth the trouble.

      I just posted the weights in reply to another query...

      Bear
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 14, 2003
        Message
        The Velcro is 1" wide; it does gather lint & debris, but this is not a serious problem.  I like the Velcro because it always works (unlike zippers) and I can grab the bug net edges anywhere and open it to get out, even in total darkness (handy when the call of nature calls in the middle of the night)....Ed
        How wide are the strips of Velcro on the sides.  I really like that idea.  Have you had any problems with leaves or dirt or any of natures other elements making the Velcro unable to stay shut?  No I haven't gotten the book I'm looking forward to reading it.  What is the farthest distance trees can be apart?  I hope I have been a bother.  I'll be ordering it on the 12th or 15th of Feb when I get back from the honeymoon. Get your thread ready. :)
        -Jason S