Photos section of HammockCamping-List

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
      Seems our Photos section is full again. Since we can't buy
      additional storage space in the photos section, we are stuck with
      what we now have. So Karen will try to reduce the size of some of
      the existing images that have already been uploaded--since some of
      these are MUCH larger than necessary, she should be able to free up a
      lot of space for many new photos. This is a tedious process that
      will take a few weeks to complete. In the future, it will help if
      everyone uploading images to this list makes sure that each one is as
      small a file as possible--good color *.jpg image files need be no
      larger than 50K to display well on a computer monitor; some of the
      images in our Photos section are 100 times that size! We all greatly
      appreciate seeing photos, so thank you to all those who have uploaded
      images already. However, if you can replace your images with smaller
      ones, it will be much appreciated. For those who don't have the
      software or ability to do this, Karen will give it a try over the
      next few days. Thanks to everyone for your patience--our Photos
      Section should be available for new photos soon...Ed
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
        Ed,

        I just deleted the 'full size' version on the 3 photos I uploaded
        today and this reduced them from 120k to 30k each? I am a little
        confused about something though, when I access other folders there is
        a 'full size' version listed at the bottom of the photo that I
        initially see, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access
        this 'full size' version. What am I missing?

        Youngblood

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
          Message
          Thanks Youngblood, that's exactly what we need.  I've been meaning to download all the photos, reduce them and then re-upload them all, but just haven't had time.  Karen has offered to begin this process, but then she's busy too.

          I too noticed the 'full size' version button dosen't work, but don't understand it--maybe someone else has the answer...Ed

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
            Ed,

            I guess with our memory constraints we don't want to use the 'full
            size' image anyway... but if it is taking up lots of memory and we
            can't even access the 'full size' images, then that's aggravating.
            It was easy for my, all I had to do was access my 'full size' image
            and then there was a button on the right and above of the image that
            gave me the option to 'delete full size image only'.

            I'm looking forward to your comments on the sidecar, are you and
            Karen up for giving it a try?

            Youngblood

            > Thanks Youngblood, that's exactly what we need. I've been meaning
            > download all the photos, reduce them and then re-upload them all,
            but just
            > haven't had time. Karen has offered to begin this process, but
            then she's
            > busy too.
            >
            > I too noticed the 'full size' version button dosen't work, but don't
            > understand it--maybe someone else has the answer...Ed

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
            050658
            > 43:HM/A=1706996/R=0/SIG=11p5b9ris/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?
            code=3050
            > 9&media=atkins> click here
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupmai

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
              Message
              Dave, sounds like you also figured out the solution to our 'full' photo section.  Your sidecar double hammock arrangement certainly looks interesting--Karen and I will definitely try it soon.  So far, we've preferred even more intimacy with our two hammocks actually touching from our shoulders to our hips.  This setup takes quite a bit of re-adjusting to get just right, but when setup properly, we find it very similar to a regular two-person bed.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                Ed, this one is a little different. Only two trees, probably more
                consistant setup, can rock in sync, and you can adjust the amount of
                contact by adjusting the length of the two rigid struts. However you
                are 'tethered' to each other so all movements are felt and the second
                one in has to start with a somewhat elevated hammock. Like I said it
                will be different... but the biggie is you only need TWO trees! As
                you can probably tell, I got real excited when I tried it out and it
                actually worked. Sure do want to hear about other folks experience
                with it.

                Dave

                > Dave, sounds like you also figured out the solution to our 'full'
                photo
                > section. Your sidecar double hammock arrangement certainly looks
                > interesting--Karen and I will definitely try it soon. So far, we've
                > preferred even more intimacy with our two hammocks actually
                touching from
                > our shoulders to our hips. This setup takes quite a bit of re-
                adjusting to
                > get just right, but when setup properly, we find it very similar to
                > regular two-person bed.

              • ciyd01
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                  Dave,

                  how well does this work if there is a large difference in the wight
                  of the two people? I know a couple who might try it but he weighs
                  about 2 times what she weighs. Looks like his side would drop closer
                  to the ground.

                  ciyd

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                    Message
                    Dave, did you use large diameter trees? or do small ones work as well?  We'll definately try it, but it may be a few weeks before our next outting...Ed

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                      ciyd,

                      Don't really know how much of a problem that will be. It's a lot
                      harder to play around with these things when it takes at least two
                      people and you are single & live alone, like me. However, as you
                      realize the heavier hammock is going to rest closer to the ground.
                      The times I have gotten to try it out was with someone that weighs
                      about 60% of what I weigh and I didn't get a good perspective on the
                      resting heights of the hammocks other than to realize that I was in
                      general a little lower than her... don't recall it being a problem,
                      but it might be. She tended to move around a lot (hyper person)
                      until she fell asleep but we seemed to do okay. I tried it first
                      with about 1.5 foot struts before changed them to 2 feet because we
                      were kind of all over each other. It might be that if it is an issue
                      that it could be compensated for by raising the attachment points on
                      the heavier hammock? May have to load them down with dead weights so
                      I can get a look at that, for some reason most people I know just
                      don't have the same curiosity for these things as I have... can't
                      imagine why. :-)

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                        Message
                        Ciyd/Dave  This is some of the re-adjustments we have to do to our setup.  Simply raising the attachment points of the heavier person's hammock will compensate for the weight difference--but this takes some trial and error...Ed

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                          Ed, if you will tell me what a medium diameter tree is I can tell you
                          whether they were small, medium or large. :-) (Sorry, couldn't help
                          myself on that one.)

                          Obviously, as you are pointing out you will be loading the trees more
                          and the trees will need to be sturdier/bigger in diameter. I don't
                          know enough about trees to say how big they will need to be with the
                          sidecar arrangement, shucks I get fooled sometimes with just my
                          single hammock and don't realize that one of the trees is bending
                          until I get in my hammock and notice that the tarp sags... and that
                          has happened more times than I will fess up to. What is your take on
                          picking out suitable trees? Maybe this would be a good place to
                          explain your 'tree de-bending' technique... I know you got something
                          up your sleve. :-)

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 24, 2003
                            I was thinking more about the seperation of the hammocks if they are
                            tied to each side of each tree--trees 24" in diameter would seperate
                            the hammocks more than trees only 6" in diameter. Or do the struts
                            make this insignificant? ...Ed

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                              Ed, I see, you were thinking of something that was posted awhile
                              back... I am thinking by Rick, that showed two hammocks tied to
                              different sides of two trees? I think the struts make the trees
                              diameters insignificant since they set the seperation at the foot &
                              head of the hammocks.

                              Are you thinking that moving the struts closer to the trees would
                              tend to make each hammock more independent? It would, but as the
                              struts move closer to the trees, the struts & their attachment points
                              would have to be stronger and if they make contact with the trees
                              they would need to be a lot stronger... that might require some type
                              of yoke or collar for the trees and reinforcement for the hammock
                              straps/ropes but would make the hammocks more independent, maybe
                              totally independent. Looks like we're opening a 'new can of worms'.
                              Kind of fun but I am at a disadvantage, don't have full-time willing
                              participants to try things out with; this looks like a task for a
                              married person with some teenage kids around... what is Rick up to
                              these days? But, I think we can come up with some interesting new
                              ways to double hang hammocks with two trees.

                              The sidecar arrangement is pretty simple, especially if you are
                              already carrying hiking poles. I have a hard time visualizing
                              anything simplier. But it is a little like sleeping with two people
                              on an unbaffled water bed... I expect some people will like it and
                              some people won't. Like ciyd pointed out, there is the issue of
                              weight balance and that in itself could make it unuseable for some
                              couples. It will also require a new look at the rain fly, but you
                              may have already done that with your double hanging with three trees.

                              Now Ed, about your 'tree de-bending' technique... I know you got one!

                              Dave

                              > I was thinking more about the seperation of the hammocks if they
                              are
                              > tied to each side of each tree--trees 24" in diameter would
                              seperate
                              > the hammocks more than trees only 6" in diameter. Or do the struts
                              > make this insignificant? ...Ed
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                              <dpwomble@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Ed, if you will tell me what a medium diameter tree is I can tell
                              > you
                              > > whether they were small, medium or large. :-) (Sorry, couldn't
                              > help
                              > > myself on that one.)
                              > >
                              > > Obviously, as you are pointing out you will be loading the trees
                              > more
                              > > and the trees will need to be sturdier/bigger in diameter. I
                              don't
                              > > know enough about trees to say how big they will need to be with
                              > the
                              > > sidecar arrangement, shucks I get fooled sometimes with just my
                              > > single hammock and don't realize that one of the trees is bending
                              > > until I get in my hammock and notice that the tarp sags... and
                              that
                              > > has happened more times than I will fess up to. What is your
                              take
                              > on
                              > > picking out suitable trees? Maybe this would be a good place to
                              > > explain your 'tree de-bending' technique... I know you got
                              > something
                              > > up your sleve. :-)
                              > >
                              > > Dave
                              > >
                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
                              wrote:
                              > > > Dave, did you use large diameter trees? or do small ones work
                              as
                              > > well?
                              > > > We'll definately try it, but it may be a few weeks before our
                              next
                              > > > outting...Ed

                            • curtlaboy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                                Hi,

                                Someone on this list posted a web page where R. Garlington describes
                                a contraption to use under a hammock. The web page was listed as
                                http://www.mindspring.com/rgalir but I can not access it. Can
                                someone please give me the correct web page?

                                Take care and God bless,
                                Corsican
                              • Ray Garlington
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "curtlaboy" <curtlaboy@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > Someone on this list posted a web page where R. Garlington
                                  describes
                                  > a contraption to use under a hammock.

                                  Ed has kindly agreed to host this information on his website. Please
                                  see: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%
                                  20Insulator/GIversion2.htm
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 25, 2003
                                    Message
                                    Corsican, Ray's Garlington Insulator pages have been moved to:
                                    ...Ed