Re: Hammock Camping-Cold Weather Set-up under 3 pounds??

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2003
      Hi Coy and others, REI sells what looks like the old
      Tarp line from Moss. They list the Heptawing as the
      smaller of 3 tarps and say it is 65sq feet. This would
      be 7.2 sq yards compared to the almost 8 sq yards I
      came up with. Using their number a tarp made of 1.1oz
      (1.3oz) stuff might end up around 10oz. I don't know
      much about sil-nylon and don't know if some lighter
      material would work for a tarp. I took my tarp down
      yesterday and I am going to make a paper pattern from
      it sometime today. If I try to make one I think I
      will make it a little longer, REI says it is 9' 6" end
      to end and if I am not in the Hammock the ends are
      almost the same length. In the rain the ends could
      get wet until you get into it. Once in the Hammock
      the weight makes it shorter and the ends are well
      under the tarp. If I make a tarp I think I would add
      a foot or more to the end to end length and this
      problem would go away.

      I liked the article about the "Down Underquilt for
      Hennessy Hammocks" but it looks a little more
      complicate than something I might be able to sew. I
      also have an old Army Down sleeping bag that I have
      saved over the years thinking the Down might be
      recycled into something else some day.

      There has to be some "low temperature/ weight of
      winter hammock set-up" ratio that once you get to it
      you sleep some other way or go home??

      How much weight are you willing to carry to sleep in a
      Hammock in Cold weather?? (Your clothing can add to
      your warmth but that also might add to your carrying
      weight). I think a Hammock warm down to around 20
      degrees is about as low as I would want to be in one.
      After that I might drop the Hammock to the ground and
      use it like a tarp/tent something. It seldom gets
      that cold here in South Texas and to test any cold
      weather set-up I would have to travel to a colder
      area.

      I have wanted to do some winter hiking on the AT so if
      I can make something that might work it would give me
      a good reason to travel up to GA this winter. Bill

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu