Hanging Double with Youngblood's Sidecar

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
      Hanging single when you would rather be hanging double? Give my
      sidecar a ride. Check out the photo's under my folder. (Folder is
      named "Youngblood" and it is on the second page.) The sidecar lets
      you hang two Speer hammocks (and maybe three) from the same two
      trees/supports. All it takes is to tie them off with rigid objects
      at the head and foot ends so that they are seperated by about 2
      feet. I used my adjustable hiking poles and it worked out pretty
      well. Sorry there was no one around to take our pictures when my
      girlfriend and I were in them. In my case I already had accessory
      cord on my hammock ropes (for attaching bugnet ridgeline and drip
      line) attached by Prussic knots and just tied the poles to them. I
      am not sure if my 7'8"x9'4" tarp will provide enough coverage when
      using my sidecar, I'll have to check that out later.

      Youngblood
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
        > Hanging single when you would rather be hanging double? Give my
        > sidecar a ride.

        Wow! This configuration is a stroke of genius. Sometimes the
        simplest solutions are overlooked.
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
          Youngblood,
          What a great idea!

          Chet

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
            Youngblood,

            That is a thing of beauty.

            Question: Does the movements of one hammock transfer easily to the
            other?

            Thanks for sharing,

            Tim
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2003
              Thanks for the compliment. Yes the movement of one hammock transfers
              easily to the other, that is one reason why I called it a sidecar...
              its like you are 'riding together'. Most of the time that is a minor
              annoyance, but once you start rocking you very quickly get in sync
              with each other and that is a pretty neat experience. However, if
              someone tossed and turned all night, I don't think you would want to
              be attached to them with the sidecar. If you think about it, gravity
              is very much at work with the sidecar arrangement because you are
              pushing off against each other through the rigid struts (the hiking
              poles in my case), so any movement will be felt in both hammocks.
              It's a little like a water bed without baffles... maybe shock
              absorbers on the struts? hmmm :-)

              Youngblood