The S3 system

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2003
      We have been working on S3 (suspended sleeping system)for  some time now and everyone seems to like it .  The S3 is the complete package-- sleeping bag -hammock -back pack all in one , you don't need to carry any thing else but food and water .  Check it out  http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sss/
      Jay
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2003
        Jay,

        I have seen this review before and it is certainly an interesting
        design. It is kinda overwelming for me to just see it on paper, it
        is one of those things where I feel I would have to 'kick the tires a
        bit' to get a feel for what it can & cannot do. You have taken the
        system design concept about as far as I have seen it, and I mean that
        as a compliment. Lots of questions and not real sure where to start,
        but here goes:

        1- What temperature range is the factory model good for, with its
        built in sleeping pad and blanket? Do these interfere with warm
        weather conditions?

        2- The fabric body looks to have seams. Are these strengthened and
        do they interfer with the comfort/stretch of the hammock?

        3- What is the size of your rain fly/tarp. Also the picture showing
        the rain fly makes me wonder if it is so close to the hammock body
        that it interfers when entering/exiting the hammock... is that an
        issue? It also looks as if the rain fly might be touching the bug
        netting, is that the case?

        4- How long and how wide is the hammock body?

        5- Do you have any feedback from backpackers that have used it on
        extended trips? Maybe someone who has lived out of it for weeks or
        months on end?

        Thanks for sharing this with us... Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <cgravity@d...> wrote:
        > We have been working on S3 (suspended sleeping system)for some
        time now and everyone seems to like it . The S3 is the complete
        package-- sleeping bag -hammock -back pack all in one , you don't
        need to carry any thing else but food and water . Check it out
        http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sss/
        > Jay
      • Carl Iobst
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2003
          Dave,
          Those are all excellent questions, not a few of which
          I might ask myself. Many times I have gone w/ the
          "easier, softer way" whether its been backpacking or
          life in general. My experience has been that there is
          nothing that will do all things equally well. Horace
          Kephart, writing in Camping and Woodcraft
          approximately 100 years ago said basically the same
          thing about similar such pieces of camping equipment.
          My notion is that putting several pieces of equipment
          together & expecting them to do more than the sum of
          the parts increases the variables tenfold (at least).
          Perhaps even past an Einstein's (I'm not even close to
          his capabilities) capabilty of performing a coherent
          gedanken (thought experiment). Okay. Its highly likely
          (I'd bet five dollars on it) that the "S3" package can
          not & will not perform as well as similar individual
          pieces of equipment used by another camper (ceteras
          parabus). Pardon my bluntness.
          Cordially,
          Carl Iobst

          --- Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:
          > Jay,
          >
          > I have seen this review before and it is certainly
          > an interesting
          > design. It is kinda overwelming for me to just see
          > it on paper, it
          > is one of those things where I feel I would have to
          > 'kick the tires a
          > bit' to get a feel for what it can & cannot do. You
          > have taken the
          > system design concept about as far as I have seen
          > it, and I mean that
          > as a compliment. Lots of questions and not real
          > sure where to start,
          > but here goes:
          >
          > 1- What temperature range is the factory model good
          > for, with its
          > built in sleeping pad and blanket? Do these
          > interfere with warm
          > weather conditions?
          >
          > 2- The fabric body looks to have seams. Are these
          > strengthened and
          > do they interfer with the comfort/stretch of the
          > hammock?
          >
          > 3- What is the size of your rain fly/tarp. Also the
          > picture showing
          > the rain fly makes me wonder if it is so close to
          > the hammock body
          > that it interfers when entering/exiting the
          > hammock... is that an
          > issue? It also looks as if the rain fly might be
          > touching the bug
          > netting, is that the case?
          >
          > 4- How long and how wide is the hammock body?
          >
          > 5- Do you have any feedback from backpackers that
          > have used it on
          > extended trips? Maybe someone who has lived out of
          > it for weeks or
          > months on end?
          >
          > Thanks for sharing this with us... Youngblood
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jay"
          > <cgravity@d...> wrote:
          > > We have been working on S3 (suspended sleeping
          > system)for some
          > time now and everyone seems to like it . The S3 is
          > the complete
          > package-- sleeping bag -hammock -back pack all in
          > one , you don't
          > need to carry any thing else but food and water .
          > Check it out
          > http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sss/
          > > Jay

          =====
          "Live Life Real not virtual!"
          ('Real' refers to Karl Pribram's Hollographic Pradigmn)

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2003
            Sorry to answer my own post, but Jay sent his reply to my personal
            mail box instead of to the group-- I think he just hit the wrong
            button. Anyway, I have copied below his reply along with my note to
            him.

            Youngblood

            ======================================

            Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:57:57 -0700 (PDT)
            From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
            Subject: Re: S3
            To: "Jay" <cgravity@...>

            Jay, thanks for the reply. You sent this to my
            personal mail box instead of hammockcamping on Yahoo
            Groups. I think everyone on the list would like to
            read your response. Your response was to this
            message:

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/ou32

            Thanks again,
            Dave

            --- Jay <cgravity@...> wrote:
            "1- What temperature range is the factory model good for, with its
            built in sleeping pad and blanket? Do these interfere with warm
            weather conditions?"

            It is comfortable for me down into the low 50 range as is , but will
            vary person to person . It comes with a zippered lower section where
            you can add insulation- foam -clothes (leaves will work ).. We tried
            to design it for warmer weather when most people camp.

            "2- The fabric body looks to have seams. Are these strengthened and
            do they interfere with the comfort/stretch of the hammock?"

            The body is cordura for ultimate strength and the seams are what
            makes it comfortable as we have reduced the arch created by typical
            hammocks by how these seams are put together.

            "3- What is the size of your rain fly/tarp. Also the picture showing
            the rain fly makes me wonder if it is so close to the hammock body
            that it interferes when entering/exiting the hammock... is that an
            issue? It also looks as if the rain fly might be touching the bug
            netting, is that the case?"

            The rain fly is 11ft by 5ft and is not set up correctly in the
            picture . It can be tied out to make a canopy or closed up for rain
            and wind protection with velcro at the ends.

            "4- How long and how wide is the hammock body?"

            36 Inches by 90 inches

            "5- Do you have any feedback from backpackers that have used it on
            extended trips? Maybe someone who has lived out of it for weeks or
            months on end?"

            No , not yet just our own standards. Let me know if
            you want to try one out

            Jay