What happens if ridgeline snaps?

  • nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2003
      In looking over past posts regarding loads on the hammock, and noting
      some of the suggestions about "bouncing" on the hammock to help
      stretch it out before re-tightening it, I have a question:

      So, what does happen if you snap the ridgeline on a Hennessy Hammock
      (or other make, for that matter)? I assume the hammock still hangs -
      the weight is carried mainly by the body and thick main lines - but
      what are the effects? How easy is this to do?

      More importantly: if it happens, is it "user-repairable," does it have
      to go back to the manufacturer, or does the hammock have to be taken
      out back and shot?

      I'll be curious to hear - thanks!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2003
        I hope no one seriously recommending bouncing on a hammock. Bouncing
        on a hammock is a very bad thing to do, for the reasons you mentioned.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "nazdarovye" <nazdarovye@y...>
        wrote:
        > In looking over past posts regarding loads on the hammock, and
        noting
        > some of the suggestions about "bouncing" on the hammock to help
        > stretch it out before re-tightening it, I have a question:
        >
        > So, what does happen if you snap the ridgeline on a Hennessy Hammock
        > (or other make, for that matter)? I assume the hammock still hangs -
        > the weight is carried mainly by the body and thick main lines - but
        > what are the effects? How easy is this to do?
        >
        > More importantly: if it happens, is it "user-repairable," does it
        have
        > to go back to the manufacturer, or does the hammock have to be taken
        > out back and shot?
        >
        > I'll be curious to hear - thanks!
      • Lenny Nichols
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2003
          I snapped my ridgeline on my HH in the field. It still works OK; there is
          just no ridgeline to hang things from and the bug netting doesn't stay up
          as well. The hammock itself still works fine. After I got home, I called
          Tom H and he did not recommend that I try to fix or retie, but to send it
          to him.

          What I learned is that after you tie the hammock up, do not leave it in the
          snakeskins and lean on it to stretch things. It can break the ridgeline. Do
          not put your body weight on the ridgeline! The safer procedure is to tie
          out the sides and get in it. Then retie the treehugger straps if necessary.

          Lenny Nichols, PMP