Re: Hammock Camping string it tight?

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2003
      ciyd -

      I have a HH. What I do is string the hammock up at eye level or above on each side guestimating for the distance to make it centered. Sometimes I have to re-tie to get it right, but usually I am pretty close. I don't pull the hammock really tight because I do want some sag in it. I don't put a lot of tension on it when I tie it up - I just kind of pull the suspension line through the tree huggers to get it off the ground and tightened up, but not so tight the ridge line is a guitar string. At this height, it will be a bit too high to use comfortably as a chair. But after you sit down and bounce on it a few times, the hammock stretches and the height ends up about perfect (for me). The suspension lines, then, have a pretty good angle to them at this point. When I attach the fly, it gets pulled up higher (away from the hammock body) as it moves up the suspension line and tightens. I make sure I tighten the sides first to get the coverage I want (with a tautline hitch), then tighten the fly by sliding the Prussik knots up the suspension lines on each end. That way, the fly is very tight and does not touch the netting. I have not had a problem with the fly dropping onto the netting doing it this way, but YMMV. If you have problems with the fly tension, try the wrist rocket tubing technique mentioned a few weeks ago (Jim Hatch, Jerry Goller). All of this should keep the fly off the netting. BTW, I also usually leave the fly attached in case it is raining. If you do this, remember to loosen the ends (slide the knots back down) when you take the hammock down, otherwise it will be difficult to re-hang.

      Good luck -
      Dennis

      >>> ciyd@... 09/22/03 03:10PM >>>
      Question for you experts: what is your setup sequence? do you
      tighten the side tie outs for the fly first or slide the hooks up the
      hang line to get the right height off the ridge line first? Details,
      folks, excrutiating details, would be appreciated.